Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you create a Boot.ini file configured for your computer?

• Please log in to reply

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
How do you create a Boot.ini file configured for your computer? I looked at an example, but I don't know how to modify for my computer.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Calvin and Hobbes...

First off, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Can you post a copy of your boot.ini here for me to see?

wannabe1

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well, I'm trying to fix a problem on my computer. When I start my computer I get a message saying NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+delete to restart.

I went to this site to create a boot disk and it says I need to create a Boot.ini file, but I don't understand:
http://support.micro....com/kb/305595/

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try these Boot Floppies instead...choose the one for your operating system. To create this set will require 6 floppy disks.

wannabe1

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
After I create these 6 floppies, which floppy should I use to start my computer, if that's what I'm supposed to do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have your XP installation CD? You can start the machine using that and even repair the problem while you're about it.

If not, you will start with Floppy Disk 1 and feed the machine all 6 when prompted. That will get you to a point where you can use Recovery Console.

If you have the CD, let me know...there is a better procedure using that.

wannabe1

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I do not have a CD.

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Will using the boot disks erase any of my memory?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No. Booting with the floppies will load enough files to get you to a command prompt.

Before we go any further...Have you tried starting the machine using the Safe Mode options?

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes, I have tried booting in safe mode but before I can get to it the NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+delete message comes out.

I'm going to start the boot disks, but I would feel better have ing all the instrusctions up to starting my computer back up normally.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're going to have to return to your original game plan...with no CD, we're not going to be able to fix the problem using Recovery Console... :whistling:

Soooooo...you're boot.ini file should look like the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Is this an OEM machine? (Compaq, Dell, HP...) There may be an option for non destructive recovery if it is.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 April 2006 - 08:22 PM.

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
1.So we're not going to be using the boot disks.

2.For the Boot.ini. I don't even know where to start. Like how do I create the file?

3. For the Boot.ini. where you put Windows XP Home Editon should I put Windows XP Home Edition SP1?

4.If we're going to use the boot disks, could you give me instructions on what to do with the disks.

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Oh yeah. What's an OEM machine?
I have an eMachines C2825

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I got a regular .ini file (CONTROL.INI) and changed the name and erased everything in it. Then I put in what you told me to put in for Boot.ini. Will it work?

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I got my 6 floppies and took the Windows XP Setup disk #1. I erased everything and put ntldr (renamed Setupldr.bin on the floppy), NTDETECT.COM, and boot.ini (the butchered CONTROL.INI file) into the floppy. Using it, I started started my computer and Hurrah my computer worked. I put the ntldr and NTDETECT.com into my C: drive and now my computer works.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.