Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP problems

• Please log in to reply

mike chag

mike chag

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello i am new to FTP and am having problems with my FTP server. I am currently using Ability Ftp Server and i have everything right but when i asked my friend to test it out it wouldnt work. I am behind a LAN and someone has told me that the ip is the same for all computers on a LAN and that might have something to do with my errors. When i tried accessing it via ftp://127.0.0.1 everything worked perfectly. How do i get people to connect to be behind a LAN?

Also is there anyway to recover the lost router password.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Mike,

When you're on a LAN environment, each computer has it's own Internal IP Address, but they all have a single External IP (which is visible to the world); unless you have purchased multiple IP's from your ISP, in which case each computer may have it's own external IP.

To find out your external IP, goto http://www.whatismyip.org/ -- this is the IP Address which others should be attempting to connect to your LAN with. However, it may be necessary to open certain ports, in which case you will need to login to your router's web console. When you forward these ports, you will need to forward it to your Internal IP Address (which can be obtained via ipconfig from a command prompt); this will allow people to connect to your computer's FTP server, rather than one / all of the other computers.

Also is there anyway to recover the lost router password.

If you have changed the router's password from it's original, default value, then no -- you will need to reset the router back to factory defaults in order to reset it back to it's default password. If you have not changed the password from the default, then please list your router's make/model, and we will hopefully be able to ascertain the default username/password. Some of the most common combinations are:
------------
Username: admin
Password: admin
------------
Password: password
------------
Password: <leave blank>
------------
Username: <leave blank>
Password: admin
------------
Username: <leave blank>
------------
If none of these combinations work, then you'll need to post your router's make/model.

- Dan

mike chag

mike chag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No luck on the password I am behind a Netgear FVS318 router.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Mike, some good software you can use for your FTP software can be found and used on "http://www.dyndns.org". Try it.

mike chag

mike chag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What does the website's tools help me in any way?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
:whistling: The default username and password for most Netgear router's is usually:
------------
------------
However, I couldn't find any specific information on your exact model as to what the default username/password information is -- so, unless you can consult your manual, I'd have to guess that you / some one else changed your router's password from it's default.. In which case, you'll need to reset your router back to it's default firmware -- do you know how to do this?

mike chag

mike chag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
The below steps should reset your router to factory defaults -- you should then be able to connect using the default username / password.
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Press / hold down the Reset button located on your router, until the lights start to flash randomly.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
If you're unable to use your router after doing these steps, you may need to powercycle again --
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.