Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Data Movement Question!

• Please log in to reply

aerides

aerides

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there.

I really need help with understanding basic hardware/software data movment. I was given a take-home exam for an introductury computer course and I've been battling with some of the questions for days and days. The main question that's posing a problem is this:

3. Computers often move data from one storage area to another. For example, the operating system often pages data between a hard drive and memory, copying the data into memory so that a program can be executed. We have also seen that the hardware (processor) moves data between memory and cache. Why is software (i.e. the operating system) in control of some of this data movement and the hardware in control of others? Is there a pattern in terms of how much data is moved, where it is moved from or moved to?

Does anyone think they can answer this, or at least give me some direction on where to look for an answer? Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!

Advertisements