Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC cant connect to network

• Please log in to reply

wraitho

wraitho

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i'm new to this forum so I'll try and explain my problem as clearly as possible.
I reinstalled Windows on a machine that was part of my home network of 4 pcs.
After this I could no longer connect to the network.
The net adapter is 1394 whatever that means and it says connected packets sent 0 packets received 0.
I typed ipconfig in a command window on the other pc and it did nothing at all. Didnt return any ip addresses of any kind. Pinging any of the other PCs on my network times out. I switched ethernet cables but all the cables work fine.
Anyway hopefully someone has an idea if you need any more information ask but remember I'm not a tech wizard of any kind please :tazz:

Mark Wraith

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you might start here:

http://www.geekstogo...ST&f=11&t=10391

wraitho

wraitho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi again
I moved a network card from another pc on the network that I wasn't using. It was an old one so I had to download the driver from the net. Anyway it works fine now.
The PC that wouldnt connect didnt have a network card it had a network adapter on the motherboard (hope i'm using the right terms). Is it usual for a network adapter to just stop working like that? The PC is only a couple months old.

Mark Wraith

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Generally, most hardware that works at the start will work for quite a long time. It sounds like your network adapter is a victim of "infant mortality", which is on the unusual side.

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

It sounds to me as if the network adaptor, was an onboard firewire port (which can be used for networking but in a 1394 network).

Paddy