Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP DVD rom [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

zurzu

zurzu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hello,

Just reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows. Here's my problem:

When i insert some dvd disks the following message appears:

d:\is not a valid win 32 application

On the other hand, the title of the dvd is displayed and i can open it too.

When i click on setup within the dvd i get the following message:

setup.exe is not a valid win 32 application.

This problem applies to both my DVD drives. I have tried them with GTA san andreas and with Oblivion. Same results...on the other hand, half-life 2 dvd works.

Can anyone help? Normally the dvd players don't need any other driver than the windows standard.

i have:

NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T

im running winXP pro, and i can play both music and movie dvds normally.
oh, almost forgot...the games are originals and GTA has previously been installed on the very same computer with the very same drives before i reformatted.

THANKS

zurzu

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Curious, what DVD reading program are you using, I find VLC to be free and very versertile, but there are many.
Also, after reformatting, often the driver of the drive works, but there is no program to go with it, so see if there is a CD that comes with the DVD player, lastly something simple

Press; windows flag botton with r botton
type; appwiz.cpl
see if there are any little yellow triangles on the icons there, mean that that device is missing its driver.

VLC reads about everything and is free, link:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Edited by fleamailman, 03 April 2006 - 05:16 AM.

zurzu

zurzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Curious, what DVD reading program are you using, I find VLC to be free and very versertile, but there are many.
Also, after reformatting, often the driver of the drive works, but there is no program to go with it, so see if there is a CD that comes with the DVD player, lastly something simple

Press; windows flag botton with r botton
type; appwiz.cpl
see if there are any little yellow triangles on the icons there, mean that that device is missing its driver.

VLC reads about everything and is free, link:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

thanks for the answer,

I found the culprit! in fact, it seems that my Nero suite was causing the problem. I uninstalled it and now it's working. I'll have to see how to be able to keep Nero and functioning drives.

thanks again,

zurzu

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, pity I think Nero to be very compatible with WMP codexwise.