Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new monitor switches onto standby

• Please log in to reply

shannianni

shannianni

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
hi everyone
i have had a new pc built at xmas for me and have now upgraded to a 17" lcd monitor
the problem is when i switch the pc on the monitor comes up with, no signal being received and then goes onto standby.
someone said it may be the graphics card not recognising the monitor

can anyone help
i am using my works pc to type this

many thanks

shannianni

Advertisements

Dave55

Dave55

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Not neccessarily, did you build the PC yourself?

Check that your jumper on the motherboard is firmly on the CMOS reset, if it's not on there you won't receive any output.

Edited by Dave55, 03 April 2006 - 06:18 AM.

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Not neccessarily, did you build the PC yourself?

Check that your jumper on the motherboard is firmly on the CMOS reset, if it's not on there you won't receive any output.

no brother built it and it was working fine till i put this monitor on the last monitor my young daughter knocked it off the side and it had a crack and started to leak, so i got a new 17" monitor and now it doesnt work.
thanks

shannianni

Dave55

Dave55

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Do you see any booting screen at all? Or does it get to "No Signal" when Windows is about to start?

Also what resolution were you running windows at?

Edited by Dave55, 03 April 2006 - 06:26 AM.

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Do you see any booting screen at all? Or does it get to "No Signal" when Windows is about to start?

Also what resolution were you running windows at?

i have seen the windows screen once but went off after about 5 secs to no signal then standby, i have even changed the cable but to no avail.
i have tried my dads and my sisters old crt monitors but they go onto standby also.

someone has told me to press f8 and start it in safe mode and change the settings but no screen come up stays on standby

:whistling:

Dave55

Dave55

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hmm, were you running 1600x1200 or something?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hate to say it but, it sounds like the video card was damaged when the old monitor fell off. Seeing as it was a CRT monitor it was probably really heavy, and yanked something out of place. Make sure the video card it seated all the way, if it has a fan make sure the fan comes on. If it doesnt come on then you might have some issues with the card itself, or even damage to the motherboard.
-Pete.