Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which graphics card to choose

• Please log in to reply

sposes

sposes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I want your opinions on which card to choose:

My current: Celestica Gold Edition Radeon 9200 SE 128MB AGP TV-Out composite
possiblity: Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB (OEM? - Model: 100583) With composite TV-Out and S-Video

Ok so both have 128MB DDR 400MHz memory, But the Sapphire has higher chipset, and aditional S-Video however card is OEM. So im not sure, and cannot get very detailed specs other then above.

I think the Sapphire will have beter preformance, but not sure, and cannot get a clean list of features such as pixel shadeing to compare.

What do you people think? Given a choice which card would you choose personaly? Why?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could go to each manufacturer's web page and find a manual for the card. Then make a side by side comparison and you decide which is better. Unless there was some significant difference between the two that makes one better, I would not change.

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Seems ATI is more reliable at giveing me specs, seems as though Radeon 9250 is faster then 9200 SE, apears to have same features, with the only benifet of the faster chipset, and S-Video out.

1) If both cards are identicle in memory, and features and only differnt in terms of faster chipset and S-Video out, would that make one card more desireable, or might the speed differnce be negligable?

2) When a Card is listed as OEM, does that mean the same as it does with OEM Operating systems?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
OEM means that it doesnt come with any software, and it doesnt come in a retail style box. Itll probably show up in a brown cardboard box. And as for which card to choose whats the price difference between the 2? And whats the speed difference?
-Pete.

sposes

sposes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Have no figures on speed diff other then ATI specs claiming 9250 is faster then 9200 SE

For cost:

Payed just over $50 CDN for the Celestica Radeon 9200 SE a year ago;
Sapphire Radeon 9250 listed as $43 CDN

price difernce of $10 - $15

Actualy why I was thinking of the switch is because my brother is in need of a Video Card, and he does not have much to spend, so if this one works out to be beter, then I would offer my Radeon 9200 SE for $20 to him and buy the Sapphire 9250 for myself.

Edit: Same vendor offering a Sapphire Radeon 9250 with 256MB (more memory) and a DVI interface for the flat pannel monitors plus standard VGA, for $60, but is currently out of my price range.

Edited by sposes, 04 April 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Sgt_pepper

Sgt_pepper

• Pip
  • 5 posts
could you not strech to $52.90 HERE

Just remember more memory doesnt always mean a faster card.

Edited by Sgt_pepper, 05 April 2006 - 07:46 AM.