Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS LAG

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Another thing that you could try is to leave the computer completely off for a few hours. Though it shouldn't matter, it often seems to help my computer - like it needs to sleep.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm afraid I had already run these. Chkdsk and sfc /scannow.

It's one of the things I did last friday. Didn't change anything.

And Bethoven - although I appreciate the thought, that statement 1 doesnt make sence and 2 doesnt change anything for me

I turned this computer off last week for the night and it was still lagging in the morning.

Edited by Vaillant, 05 April 2006 - 04:29 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you have been installing / uninstalling a lot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options, click clean up restore points, confirm, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
No effect.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the hardware

VoidHawk

VoidHawk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
interested in hearing your results if they work - my laptop has started doing this - most evident when I click on something that opens a new IE Window - takes 10-20 seconds for the window to open. Very annoying when using a web based mail program that opens a new window each time you read a message.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Check in the BIOS for CPU temperature. If too high, the CPU may throttle back to protect itself from heat damage. Also make sure that all levels of cache memory are enabled.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
This is a DELL computer. The only temperature sensor I have is inside the HDD, and it's running at the usual 30 degrees celcius.

It isn't the hardware, it's windows. I just booted in my auxiliary OS ( a stripped down version of XP PRO SP2 ) and there's no lag whatsoever.

I'm starting to think a repair install may be in order for the main OS, a legal copy of XP home...

I've spent the last 3 weeks, a great number of hours trying to find the cause without any solution...

I can't help but wonder though. After I got high-speed installed on this computer, it's been one problem after the next. Those of you who helped me before remember the Sygate Firewall malfunction, which was re-lettering my optical drives randomly.

Then there was the CD burning feature which I had been telling it day in day out to be hidden, but every new boot it came back..

The 3 major changes in hardware that I've made in the recent times would be adding in a RAM of 512, a Pioneer DVR-110D dvd burner, and a linksys ethernet card.

If this was hardware, I'd expect things to be crashing, not just slowing down. And if it indeed was hardware, it should be affecting this windows as well!

Skeptic, you'll have to explain to me how to do what you suggest, but as far as I know nothing like that has ever been modified on this computer.

Gotta run.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The suggestion was to check the hardware in order to rule it out, presumably the cut down version hasn't run any of the programmes the main programme has, or been on there long enough to conclude it cannot be hardware

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Alright, you've got my attention with that plan.
When I return home... Although its likely to be tomorrow as I get home late and I'm sick right now, need sleep...

I'll start by removing the new ram... Run a ramcheck with memtest, remove the ethernet card ( although i'll miss having high-speed for the time im doing that test..lol

Untill then, thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It can also be drivers, check what you can, if you haven't already

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
About checking cache memory: You would be surprised but I encountered a case in which cache level 2 was accidently disabled with the result of a tremendous slow down.

Regarding cpu and board temperatures: I never stop wondering how a serious company like dell can deliver a computer without such an elementry item as heat sensor and a tiny chunk of BIOS software to enable CPU protection against overheating.

In general: I noticed that many people stick to the assumption that software is the root cause for almost every problem. This single minded approach can very often cause a tremendous waste of time and is not a very logical way to diagnose a problem. You spent a lot of time and effort on the software side without succss. Checking the hardware systematically would take fraction of the time. If the problem is not there then at least you can mark it with V and concentrate your effort on the software side. Presently you can't be sure.

Had I been in your place I would do the following: Open the box and disconnect physically everything which is not essential. Leave only the memory, hard disk anf video card. Check that all fans spin freely and dust is not clogging the heatsink. I would even go further to remove the heatsink, perfectly clean the top of the cpu and bottom of heatsink and apply a very thin layer of thermal paste. (All this because you don't have a temp sensor). Now reinstall all main drivers. Run the computer and report results.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm afraid it didn't help. I have one last thing I want to run, memtest, to double-check the ram..

But removing all but essential hardware, reinstalling drivers

Didn't help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run the test on one stick at a time. If all pass that way, add a stick and test with two, and so on. That makes it easier to isolate a bad stick should there be one...or sticks that aren't playing together well.

CSPBATMAN

CSPBATMAN

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
wow thats gotta be the most posts on 1 day ever [april 4] ever.

Edited by CSPBATMAN, 06 April 2006 - 09:06 PM.