Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SurfSideKick 3 et al

• Please log in to reply

Peter1234

Peter1234

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm in a spot of bother. Looking at my g/fs brothers computer (XP Pro), it was clear it had been compromised beyond belief. I should've left it alone! I installed and ran avg and adaware, and cleaned the thousands of virii and malware on the computer. now it's having trouble booting/functioning. this ssk remains, and resists all the methods that i've found on the internet to clean it.

xp loads, but takes an extra 3 minutes in the starting up screen, then one minute without a desktop, then finally the desktop arrives but no taskbar. there is a toolbar (right-click taskbar, toolbars) that has no name, which seems to hide the taskbar. no internet access either, so i can't post hijack logs.

i have disabled all but system (and ssk) programs at startup, and have removed the vlcclient, and the ati2evxx.exe that has been linked with the malware.

it would seem ssk is causing most of my grief
http://www.geekstogo...533;entry242597

same as this post, the program has no open processes, but seems to be able to undo any changes to registry or files that I might want to make. this users solution doesn't work either, as the windows folder is <immediately> replaced upon renaming. unlocker quotes the debug problem, but those changes to local policy always revert as well.

kilbox was no good, and is now giving me a system error &h800706b5

i can't delete the repairs or ssk files, nor can I stop them from running on startup.

I've never come across malware this nasty or persistent, and it's not on a computer of mine!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Welcome to the world of malware removal then, sounds like a welintentioned but messy clean up of malware so here is the link to our malware removal forum. Follow all the steps mentioned and if there is still malware after that please post the hjt log there. Good luck then.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by fleamailman, 04 April 2006 - 12:20 AM.

Peter1234

Peter1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Thanks. I'm not new to malware removal - I just never suspected anything this nasty or persistent!
This guy had been to some real dodgy sites; I'm surprised he could use the computer at all.

the whole hjt routine wouldn't be easy here. no net access, and the burner is giving a COM/OLE error.

So i'll change my approach on this one.

THE QUESTIONS:

*Is it true the XP CD has a dos prmpt i could use to delete files?
I tried to boot DRDOS, but access was read-only on the NTFS partition for some reason

*Can i take the (dual partition) hard drive out and stick it in an external enclosure or other computer??
I've done this before, but never with a dual partition (NTFS/FAT32) hard drive

Thanks,
Pete.