Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow GFX Card

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Hi, I have a Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256mb AGP and it seems to be slow I did a benchmark test yesterday and the score was below half the score of the benchmark for my card. Anyone know why?

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
500W power supply
ASRock K7S8X R3.0

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What benchmark is it, some arent effective, and you have to take into account other factors like the rest of your system, eg, one with a gig of ram will get a better score than one with 512Mb one with a 3200+ cpu will be better than your 2400+.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
hmmm I think it was with the ATI omega drivers they have a benchmark. How much does the processor hold back your GFX card? say if i did upgrade to a Athlon 64 3200+ like yours would that increase my fps?

Thanks,

Kurt

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
anyone?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well my X800XL using the ATI tray tool benchmark scores less than an x800pro when its unoverclocked which is absolute rubbsih because the x800pro is slower and other benchmarks put it above it so i wouldnt consider it reliable, try 3dmark05 its more intensive amd more relaible.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
KK, thanks how much would my frame rate increase if i had a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ with a ASRock SATA2 and 1GB of PC3200 RAM? Oh crappy benchmark then.

Thanks,

Kurt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the better benchmarks for gfx cards not a huge amount as they are gfx card specific they are factors but they try to minimise the influence from them, more generally you would gain a boost from it. But you would need a new card there arent many AGP 939 boards that will take the 3700+ unless you are getting the old clawhammer.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
O ok then I look for one I wanted the ASRock SATA2 cause it has bothe AGP and PCI-E which cause my GFX card is quite new I didnt really wanna get a new one till like the end of the year. I just looked at the motherboard the BIOS update has support for the 3700+

Thanks,

Kurt

Edited by rumble291, 17 April 2006 - 04:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild be careful with that board it didnt get great reviews.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
thanks for the advice I'll look at some reviews.

Kurt

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would just get a good brand socket 939 mobo and a quality pci express video card like the 7600gt or above to hold you for a year....

7600gt or above for nvidia

x1600xt very minimum for an ati card... the other 1600 cards suck..

Or you could always wait for the dx 10 cards and new socket mobos and cpu's.

Youll have to get a new 24 pin powersupply also. The adapters for 20 to 24 pin are iffy...

Edited by jrm20, 18 April 2006 - 05:28 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah but I only got that card like a few months ago I think i'm going to upgrade my GFX card near christmas. I'm going to get a new processor and motherboard soon

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If youre going to get an AGP motheboard dont bother wait. PCI-E is the standard now and getting AGP cards now is getting hard and as far as i know there isnt plans for DX10 AGP cards. So you would be stuck with an AGP gfx card so to get a good new gfx card you would need to upgrade the motherboard AGAIN.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Could I overclock it in BIOS?

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I just found out that i had 63 viruses gutted or what. Got rid of them all and i get triple the score lol stupid me i should of scanned for viruses.