Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony, as a company.

• Please log in to reply

Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Im not entirely sure where to post this, so Ill try here.

I'm considering buying a Sony Vaio laptop, but several things Ive found on the internet have said that sony's customer support isnt all to great, and tehir products break easily (ex. laptops suddeny stop working after a few months)

Has anyone here had experience with sony or sony products (spicifically even, the vaio laptop line)? Good or bad?

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's just my opinion but i don't like the ethics of the sony corp. If they will install a root kit on your computer just to stop you from copying a music CD, what else will they do to make sure they are making money. I know this topic is kinda hot but i do not share my music with other people because i had to buy the cd myself. I do like making copy's to use in my car and when i'm away from home. This saves my original CD from getting damaged or lost. Since i believe this company does not care if they damage my computer i will not buy their products.

I am not trying to start a flame war here, just stating my opinion.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sony doesnt do anything other companies dont do so ethics wise i accept it as a part of life.
Intel do the bully boy, apple do the DRM thing as well, MS have all there new digital signing and its variants etc. they all do something i dont like so i dont bother.

I still buy sony stuff though because its usually twice as good as their competitors in terms of technology and build quality, its there software division that almost always lets them down, they are resonsible for all the crappy DRM and the poor replacement of the sonicstage.

VAIO laptops ive not owned one but ive used a few and they seem pretty good, but not better than anyone else, they have the advantage of using sony screens but thats about it. Laptops i would go acer myself they have a good reputation and arent biased towards AMD or intel you can get both and there laptops consistently get good reviews and they are cheap. Its either that or a Dell and upgrade the ram for me, but thats me, if i could get it cheap i would get a VAIO.

Ive used sony products for years, ive always used walkman for my portable music and ive never had a problem, even with all its flaws my NWA-3000 is still alot better and sturdier than an ipod or a creative and it was a good price. My DNE-10 still works perfectly well and still has a great battery life and is still the smallest CD player in the world. My minidisk player still works allright even after all the abuse and my clie is still in perfect working order. So ive not had much use of there customer support, they have the advantage of having there own chain of shops though so you can take it in and do it from a shop which is a plus.

Conclusion, i would buy a VAIO if it was the best i could get for the price, every company has there bad points sony considering how big it is isnt as bad as many.