Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner Help!

• Please log in to reply

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this at, but I could not find a forum for this subject.

When I burn a CD from the music on my windows media player, the burned CD will only play on a computer! So that means my burner is working correct? So the mystery is, why are my burned CD’s only playing in a computer???

It's been awhile since I burned a CD, but when I did, it would play in a regular CD player. I had always used windows media player in the past, and they played fine in a regular CD player.
So I don’t know what’s going on!

I have dial up and I use windows XP. I tried using windows media player, and real player, and both will only play on a computer. I am burning on audio and not mp3, and I am using regular CD-R’s. All my music is in wma format. I made sure the box was checked on the C drive to send the files to the temporary files folder to be burned on the disc. I looked at my Device Manager and it says my burner is working properly. However there is no free space or used space on my burner, but it shows this same thing for the DVD player and my Floppy drive, so I don’t think that has nothing to do with it.

I went to the windows media player site, and it talked about how it converts .wma and .mp3 to PCM (pulse code modulation) in order for it to play on a regular CD player, I assume this is what is meant when it “Finalizes” or “Closes” the disc. Is there a way to check my burner to see if it is doing this before I attempt to burn another disc? Are there measures I can take to make sure my burner is working correctly before I attempt to burn another CD?

I was in Hurricane Katrina, and have moved away from there. All of my belongings and CD's are in storage there still. Luckily I put my CD’s that I bought on my computer, or I wouldn’t have anything to listen to, but as you know, computer speakers kinda suck, so it would be nice to be able to burn a few so I could listen to them on the little boom box someone gave me.

I would really appreciate if someone could walk me through this. If there is any more information you need to know in order to help, please let me know.
Thanks a bunch.

~ladybelle~

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

When I burn a CD from the music on my windows media player, the burned CD will only play on a computer! So that means my burner is working correct? So the mystery is, why are my burned CD’s only playing in a computer???

if you're burning the files as MP3 or WMA and trying to play the cd in an older cd player..then it won't work...not all CD players are capable of interperating mp3 or WMA files....i always burn my cd's as WAV files....granted they are bigger..but they will always work on any cd player..no matter what....so...convert the mp3s you want to burn into wav files and you should be fine to burn

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply (((Smile)))

I never had this problem before, so I dont know whats going on. I had always burned my CD's from my windows media player in wma format, and it played on my stereo, and anyone elses stereo also.

I only have one album in wav format on my computer, and its the one I had on a tape, and I somehow got it on my computer one day. However, when I tried to burn it to a CD, it would not work, and the copied CD sounded really weird. But thats not what I am trying to accomplish here anyway. I just figured that might give you some more info.

I dont know exactly what mp3 is, but I dont think I have any on my computer. All the music on my computer are from my CD's I bought at the store, and I dont see any mp3 type files on my windows media player. I have never downloaded any music off the Internet if that helps.

How do I burn these wma files to wav? I dont quite understand.

Also, could it be that it is not closing or finalizing the disc perhaps? And if that is the case, could I manually fix the problem?

I am willing to work with anyone who wants to help me. I'm not a complete idiot LOL. I do know a little bout computers, I can follow any directions you give me in other words (((Wink))) I'm just kinda lost on this issue.

UPDATE: More info since I posted this...
On my CD Burner properties all I see for selection is:
WMA (Windows Media Audio)
WMA (Variable Bit Rate)
WMA lossless
MPEG Layer-3
I do not see anywhere to burn using WAV (Windows Audio File)

I used the Disc Clean up and the Disc Defragmenter to free up space on my computer, and I ran The Hardware Update Wizard and it said it could not find a better match for my CD-RW than the software I already have installed.

I'm doing everything I know to do. But I still havent figured this out yet. So help is still required!!!

Any and all responses appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
~ladybelle~

Edited by ladybelle, 05 April 2006 - 05:46 PM.

ladybelle

ladybelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, my burner is working now. I didnt do anything to it or anything. Maybe I had been burning in Data format before and just didnt realize it or something.
Thanks for the help
~ladybelle~

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Is there a way to change the default of your burner...I am burning mp3's which are coming out in cda format..and I cant seem to find where I would be given the chance to change it. My car and home system reads mp3s...grrr...I have tried this on my roxio software and also thru MP10...