Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft, malware detection, bad news....

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I may have read this wrong but it read as if soon reformat may be the only option left:

http://www.eweek.com...,1945808,00.asp

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You are misreading. It doesnt help that the author isnt telling the whole story.

What mickeysoft is saying is that its cheaper and faster for companies to just wipe a drive and start over than it is to remove malware. Also, many companies dont have people trained in the removal of such malware.

Like the one organization cited where they had 2,000 client computers infected with some form of malware, its faster (read cheaper) to just ghost those systems and start over than it would be to send a tech to each one and remove the malware. 20 mins is all it takes to ghost a system and it can be done remotely.

The sky is indeed not falling.

ScHwErV :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The author is a bit misleading i agree, the way Data is backed up in a big business environment then a reformat is an option. Malware can take a while to get rid of, and it is sometimes just as easy to reformat.

I only did a reformat after malware today. I actually got rid of the malware thanks to that lovely prog HJT and trojanhunter, pfft dont know what all the fuss with this malware lark is its easy. But i reformatted as i have picked up a million and one gremlins over the year and i reformat annually usually.

So now im rejoicing in my squeeky clean PC free of all my little progs that do absolutely nothing.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 April 2006 - 02:02 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
My apologies then, perhaps I should have worded it better, and no I am a fan of HJT, it is just my not being able to see malware in the logs extends to what the auther is really saying in the artical.