Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot after running Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware

• Please log in to reply

seacomp

seacomp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone --

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide some advice on my unfortunate situation...

I installed Spybot Search and Destroy this afternoon and used it to scan and remove some spyware/malware from my computer. Immediately afterwards, I used Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft) to do the same thing (as I had read that each may catch some things that the other does not). I have used Ad-Aware many times before with no problems, but this is the first time I have used Spybot S&D.

I then restarted my computer and this is where I ran into the problem.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode, starting regularly, and all the other start-up options available. However, each time, I get this message (on a black screen):

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair. "

Is there any other way to attempt a repair without having to use the original setup CD? I got my computer almost 3 years ago and I remember that it came with Windows XP already installed. I can't quite remember if a setup CD came with the system, but I can look for it if that's my only option.

Also, if I do try to repair using the original setup CD, does this mean I'll be reinstalling XP and will all my files and data that I had stored on my hard drive be erased?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hey seacomp,

doing a repair does require your original cd, but it shouldn't erase any of your files...you will have to download the updates from microsoft again after though...

seacomp

seacomp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks neverborn. :whistling:

I'll go hunt for that original CD, then. I just wanted to be sure because a few years ago, someone else tried to fix my computer (a different one than the one I have now) with a tech on the phone and ended up erasing everything on my entire hard drive (which was at the time naively not backed up of course!).

Thanks again!

seacomp

seacomp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately, no luck. :whistling:

I found a set of Vaio System Recovery CD's I must have made when I first bought the computer (Sony VAIO desktop), but the only recovery options are to "recover the c: drive", which says that all files and programs (on the c: drive only but that's where almost everything is!) will be erased and the drive will be returned to its original factory settings. Or, I can recover all drives, in which case everything will be erased and all drives will be returned to original factory settings.

I couldn't find an "original start-up" disk for just Windows XP....maybe because it came pre-installed. there is no original disk for XP for my computer??

I definitely cannot afford to lose everything on my c: drive. I have some things backed-up. but there is a lot that I need that isn't backed-up.

So, is there any advice for repair/recovery without having to erase my entire c: drive? Again, this problem only occurred after I had installed and used Spybot S&D today.

Thanks again for any advice.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
well, you could always ask for the cd from the store you bought it from...but you would need to enter your own license key. If (somehow) they're using it, i suppose you'd have to buy your own...