Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sandisk USB Problem

• Please log in to reply

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey guys,

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 512 MB. When I hook it up to my laptop, it doesn't work. Actually, it kind of freezes up my computer. I talked to SanDisk support. They told me to delete the driver for it, turn off my computer, and next time I plug it back it, it should work. Unfortunately, this accomplished nothing.

My dad has the 1GB Titanium Cruzer, and he has the same problem. I run an Alienware and he has a custom built. We both run ZoneAlarm as our firewall. We thought this could be the problem, but after disabling it, we encountered the same problem.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks for reading.

TJ

Advertisements

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I browsed some of the other posts regarding SanDisks that didn't work. I heard a lot about plugging it in and then reformatting. I, however, can't do this because as soon as my flash drive is plugged it, everything freezes. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove the sandisk drivers

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try the key without the sandisk driver

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I did all of that but when I went to plug in the SanDisk, it froze my computer again. Did Tune-Up delete the driver or was I supposed to do that myself? If I am, how would I go about doing that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does anything show in add / remove for sandisk

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
In Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel? No there is nothing there regarding SanDisk nor the U3 program on the SanDisk.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did it come with a software CD, if it did, run that

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No, the SanDisk did not come with any CDs or anything of the sort.

I plugged my SanDisk in there for awhile, and all of a sudden it popped up in Windows Explorer. A CD Drive P and a Removable Disk Q both came up. When I click on either of them, it says there are no files on them (although I loaded some files on it from my work computer).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for sandisk cruzer 256MB

Installing the driver:

1) Make sure the operating system is Windows 2000 or XP. Also make sure you're logged in with administrative rights.

2) Download the driver file from the website and save the file to the location of your choice (the Desktop is the preferred location).

3) Close all open programs and double-click on the driver file (BookLockerService.msi).

4) The setup wizard will open.

5) Follow the on-screen instructions to choose where to install the program.

6) Once completed, click "Finish".

The program is now installed.

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It is a 512mb. Any difference?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wouldn't think so, it says this as well, though you may want to check with them

1) To copy or move files between a Macintosh and Windows PC, use the FAT file system

2) SanDisk Cruzer products are shipped ready to use on both Windows PC and Macintosh systems. In most cases, you will not need to reformat or reinitialize your SanDisk Cruzer to transfer files between a Windows PC and a Macintosh system. If you need to reformat or reinitialize a SanDisk Cruzer, please ensure the following:

• On a Windows system, format your Cruzer with the FAT or FAT16 file system.

• On a Macintosh system, format your Cruzer with the MS DOS file system.

Not sure if that is speciafically for moving between a MAC and a PC

Could not see the driver they were on about either

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Something that happens often with USB keys is that the head slowly comes lose, see if the metal head that goes into the USB port is firm, if it is even slightly wobboly, it means that it is nearing its end, for the moment though you may still get back your data by gently holding it up while in the slot or down, we have this often enough in the shop so it is just me 2cts worth.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Kieth sorry to intrude. I had the same problem. Would work with my HP at home but wouldn't work with some dells at the office or it would just completely freeze some models. I spent a half an hour trying to fix the first computer it froze on ( thought I borked it) After some constant harping to them I recieved this through E-mail.

This lockup Problem is Acknowledged by Sandisk
It is caused by the power draw of the micro. We are working to correct the issue.

Strangely they offered no refund. They also told me to try in a different USB port :whistling:

Oddly enough it did work fine in safe mode. I ended up using it to test San disk's theory that they can withstand 2000lbs.

Edited by loophole, 06 April 2006 - 05:17 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I wanna add my two-bits worth, too! :whistling:

Here are some interesting points to ponder in regards to using USB devices on a laptop.

Most USB flash drives require 500mA to function properly...many laptops limit USB output to 100mA . If you use a 500mA device on a machine that will only provide 100mA , the device will be seen as a faulty device and give the machine all kinds of fits.

To check what your machine provides to USB output, open "Device Manager", double click on "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", double click on a "USB Root Hub", click on the "Power" tab. In the "Hub Information" section, what is listed as "Total power available"?

If the available power is less than 500mA, a powered USB hub may help. I could find no power specs on your Sandisk drive on their site...

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thanks to all who shed light on this, you would have thought sandisk could have mentioned some, if not all of that to the purchaser