Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox error[closes window]

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
um, since yesterday my firefox browser has been giving me the following error alert, after which it either shuts down[if i click ok] or opens up the debugger[clicked cancel]...never experienced this before, though, so i'm kinda stumped...if i remember right the only pages i had open were geekstogo and meebo.com, maybe a google result page[don't remember]... i'm away from my machine a lot, and everytime i come back, it's there:

thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails

• ff_error.jpg

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could uninstall then re-install Firefox

Microsoft have this with a link for a hotfix

http://support.micro...kb/251362/en-us

CAUSE
Under a debug build, every function call is prefixed with MOVESI, ESP (code bytes: 8B F4) for the run-time check feature (/GZ). Thus, if you set a breakpoint on any function call, the 8B is replaced with CC (INT 3) in memory to generate a user-defined exception. Before execution continues, the debugger replaces the CC with the original byte (in this case, 8B).

The debugger ignores the first user-defined exception (0x80000003) for the breakpoint that was set. The byte after the 8B is F4. F4 is a HLT instruction which is a privileged instruction; when this instruction executes, a privileged instruction exception (0xC0000096) is generated. The debugger remains ignoring exceptions, but unlike the user-defined exception, the instruction pointer isn't advanced and when the debugger ignores this exception, the exception is generated again thus entering an endless loop.

Checking for updates to Visual Studio may help

http://msdn.microsof...nloads/updates/

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
there's an extention call crash recovery and i helps stop firefox from crashing

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
>>daniel_c:
thanks, but 'crash recovery' only recovers any windows/tabs you had open before the crash, opening them the next time ff opens...

>>keith:
-reinstalling didn't help...
-not sure if i got it right...um, isn't the fix for the c++ debugger, not for ff itself? i get the thing about the exceptions, but not sure how they affect ff. would simply disabling the debugger stop the crashes? thanks again...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could set it thus to see if it improves

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
i have IE 6 SP1 installed, but i don't seem to have that checkbox:
disable script debugging (other)...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Disable IE and clear show an error

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hmmm... think that did it...haven't experienced any crashes today, but then again it's not yet noon here... :whistling: will let you know if that did it. much thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it stays as it is, and should be

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
scratch that...did it again... :whistling: any other ideas? grrr...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
sorry, forgot to tell you, this is happening to my work computer running on Windows 2000 Professional SP4...
i have admin rights, but i seriously doubt they're going to let me do some repairs[even] on it, what with the files and all...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If they let you use firefox at work, let them fix it because it is their computer

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Ok. thanks all the same.