Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Last week had a little problem with a file called GDNFR2218.exe. Spywarequake2 is involved with this one. I tried to remove the files it left scattered over the pc myself, before I found the answer in the malware forum (many thanks for the help). I might have deleted files I shouldn’t have. But not to sure. Done a bit of reading up on the above exe file and its common for it to delete some files on the pc, hence maybe a small or rather large problem for me. I have 2 hard drives both Western Digital and both 8meg cache. The original is 120 gig (3.5 years old model no WDC WD1200JB) and the newest 80 gig (8months old model no WDC WD800JB). On start up a clicking noise can be heard from the hardrives. Post screen says primary slave fail. .The WDC WD800JB is now recognised as WDC ROM MODEL –SABRE—in CMOS.Wont start unless f1 key pressed. Take ages to boot up. Disconnected the new hard drive in question and booted up no problem (no click noises). Reconnected the hard drive that so called ‘failed’ and same fault appeared, even swapping over the connections for the hardrives doesn’t work. Have run Western Digital Diagnostics with the old drive and its ok. The software did however, say that it found the –SABRE-- drive and could format/partition the drive and 8 gig would be possible. I know this is not right, especially when its got 80gig!. Any Ideas?

S.M.A.R.T is disabled, tried enabling it , no change

Used SiSoftware Sandra to check drives – no luck

*EDIT* fofgot to add that i loaded the deafault settings for bios in cmos. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Edited by CrazyFrog, 07 April 2006 - 03:15 PM.

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I would say that unless you have valuable data on the hard drive, to call western digital, tell them the roblem, and you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. If you need data off the drive, there are places that perform data recovery. You can do a google search to find one. So, I'd say get it replaced under the warranty.

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ta ejay563. Never thought of that. email sent and awaiting reply.

Think my BIOS settings might have something to do with it though.

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wester Digital have responded to my email and my hardrive is not well.

the 80GB drive has firmware damage which is not solvable :whistling:

I think thats the end of this topic.