Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32/Nsag OXC0000022 error [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Notaclue

Notaclue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP. When I started my computer today, I got the following error message:
Explorer.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (OxcOOOOO22). Click on OK to terminate the application.

My screen saver comes up, but nothing else. I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del and was able to run my AVG free virus scan. The result was a Win32/Nsag virus found. I moved the file to the virus vault. I tried to restart the computer, but this time received an error that the wininet.dll file could not be found. I used Ctrl-Alt-Del again and looked in the virus vault and sure enough the file name that has the virus is wininet.dll I tried to restore the file, but the AVG warning comes on saying Virus Detected, hitting the Ignore button, does nothing. The virus vault still contains one file.
However, when I restart the computer I'm only getting the inital Explorer.EXE - Application Error and my screensaver.
I don't know how to do a system restore using Ctrl-Alt-Del. I tried the recovery CD but when the disc said it would erase the contents of my hard disk drive I didn't know if that meant it would erase all my programs and files so I chose to abort. I really haven't a clue what I am doing.....HELP!

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You need to restore that infected file that was quarantined by AVG. Do NOT delete it. You said the vault still has one file in it, see if it's the wininet.dll file.

We'll need to transport some files from the computer you are now using, to your infected computer.

Download smitRem.zip and save the file to your desktop.
Right click on the file and extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.
So you'll get a new folder called smitrem on your desktop.
I want you to put that folder on cd, floppy or usb-stick.

On your infected computer, boot again in safe mode and open your task manager again.
Now insert the cd, floppy or usb-stick where you saved the smitrem folder in your infected computer.

In your Task Manager, click 'applications' (first tab).
Click the New Task button.
Cick browse.

Now browse to the drive where your floppy, usb-stick or cd is present (could be A or D or E or F.. you'll see..)
Search for that smitrem folder.
Right click on the smitrem folder and choose: Copy

Now browse again via Task Manager to My Documents or Program Files.
Right click somewhere in there, right click and choose: Paste
Now open the smitrem folder you just copied and pasted and click the file: RunThis.bat
Then click open.
In the window where it says 'Create new task', click OK.

Normally, you'll have to drag the different windows you'll see to left or to right, because normally they will open on top of each other and you wont see the command window the tool starts that is under it.
You'll see a blue window now.
Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete.

When done, in Task Manager, click 'shut down' from the menu on top and click restart. Your computer will reboot now.
Reboot to normal mode and post a hijackthis log in your next reply.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.