Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing windows 2000 and running from external hard disk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kelkarshriram

kelkarshriram

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Dell Inspiron 1000 Pentium laptop and I download tons of torrent movies. Hence I bought Maxtor 200GB hard disk (from Staples in deal) and External Hard Drive Enclosure - 5.25inch USB2.0 - Aluminum by Anyware from Shop4tech.com and made USB external hard disk with 4 partitions of 50GB each.

I want to load windows 2000 on the hard disk and boot from that so that in effect, I dont use my laptop's hard disk. My laptop life would be more.

My doubts are.
1. Can external hard disk be used as bootable drive?
2. If yes how do I do that.
3. When I insert Windows 2000 CD it says that you already have XP cannot allow to install 2000?
4. Do I have to do something with jumper settings?

Could somebody please please please guide me. I am not much of expert in hardware things...

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
#1...not possible...i have yet to see an os boot from an external hard drive

#2...We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to P2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselve legal, most things aquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way, stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin