Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suspended hard drive no partition?

• Please log in to reply

topwater

topwater

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So I had a virus. It was horrible I finally got rid of it by running my system restore disks and staring over.
I have an external hard drive where I keep all of my music, movies and digital photos. I can do without the music and movies though it it a punch in the gut. I am now missing a little over 3500 songs, and 40-50 movies but that I can live with. I also had 5 years worth of digital pictures all my family pictures wedding pictures and baby pictures of three children. Needless to say I have to find a way to at least get my pictures back.

When I ran the system restore disks the first time I had left my external hard drive on. The disk ran for only 5-10 seconds before i realized it and turned it off. The process did get rid of my problem on the internal hard drive. But for the few seconds that the external drive was on, The disk managed to suspend my drive.
When I try to access it from explorer or anywhere else for that matter, I get a screen that tells me the drive is not formatted. If I have it reformatt the drive It will permanently delete my files. At least that is what I am lead to belive. so I am stuck with 200 gigs of suspended files. I need help I have not been able to find software to recover my files. Any suggestions? :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you and try running findntfs from systernals.com. if it can find a copy of the mft (master file table) it should recover the data. however you may have to resort to foriensice data recovery. either find someone local who specializes in it (data doctors, data wizards) for excample. Your other option would be a professional data recovery service such as Ontrack, but that gets to be very expensive... $3,000 USD would be an educated guess.

I spend a lot of time recoving data from hdd's at work. findntfs is my first choice, then I use Easy Recovery Pro by ontrack (expensive software, $1500), there are some other utilities but these are the best I've used.