Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Win32.SillyDI.AK [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

roacham

roacham

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi,
You guys realy helped me in December but I am still having a problem. If anyone is logged on and the computer goes to sleep, when we wake it up, we get this message;
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8238BFE6-44BD-4B25-B0F7-CE65B3815CC9}\RP615\A0197122.exe
Virus Name: Win32.SillyDl.AK
When I scan for viruses their are none. No big deal, but when we are not logged on and the computer goes to sleep, when we go to wake it up and log on, the computer will not respond. The only thing we can do is turn it off by pushing the on/off button. Then it will turn off and when we turn it back on it is O.K.
I do not know if this file infection has anything to do with this or not but maybe it does.
Hopefully one of you smart guyr or girls can help. :tazz:
Thanks,
Angie

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Roacham,

This is defintely a virus, by the sounds of it, your system restore is infected and it is reinstalling itself. I would follow the guidelines for your antivirus software which usually suggests turning of system restore, then run the virus checker (with the latest updates).

This should sort it.

Paddy

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thank you,
This has seemed to fix the problem so far, but I have not turned my system restore back on yet. Is it O.K. to do that now or should I leave it off for a while?
Thank you again,
Angie

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
:tazz: Sorry,I spoke to soon. I have not received the file infection note while I'm logged on and my computer goes to sleep, but when I was not logged on and it went to sleep, I had to turn off my computer by pushing the on/off button to get it to respond. Ant more helpful information?
Thanks,
Angie

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I don't think the system going to sleep and not coming back on while you're not logged in, is to do with the infection, I suspect it's something else, try this: Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel
Open the System application and select the Hardware tab
Select Device Manager
Click on the "+" in front of Keyboards
Right click on the keyboard sub-heading that appears and select Properties
Choose the Power Management tab and place a check in front of "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
Click on OK
To enable the Mouse go to "Mice and other pointing devices" and repeat steps 4 through 7

The other err solution would not be to allow the system to go into stand by.

Paddy

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
I can get to the point of right clicking the sub header under keyboard and mice and other pointing devices, but when I click properties on either of them I cannot find the power management tab. Is this normal? Should I turn my system restore back on yet?
Thank you,
Angie

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

You should see these options, I would try right clicking the desktop> properties> screen saver> power and check the settings in there. It should also be OK to turn on system restore now.

Paddy

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
O.K. I did what you said, I do not have anything that says allow this computer to come out of standby. I do have something that that says system stanby, I highlighted never and applied this. I double checked the other thing you told me to do and there is no power management tab. Is my computer missing something? Maybe that is the problem. Well, maybe if it does not go into standby, the problem will be fixed. I will let you know.
Thanks again,
Angie

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Angie,

Please do let me know, though the options I have described can vary from system to system, what sort of PC do you have (make/model type (laptop/workstation) etc).

Paddy

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
My computer is a Compaq presario 6000 desktop with windows XP. So far it is doing O.K. but I will let you know if it happens again. It does not do it every time, so I will have to wait to tell you for sure.
Angie

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Just wanted to give an update. I am still not having any problems. I will let you know in a couple of days if everything is still O.K.
Thank you so much for your help,
Angie

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
That's good to hear :tazz:

Paddy

roacham

roacham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thank you for your help Paddy. My computer is doing great? Can I just ask a silly question? What is it when a computer goes into stanby? I thought my computer would not go to sleep but it still does. Just curious.
Thanks,
Angie

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi Angie,

Sorry for the delay, I have been having network issues., and there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers :tazz:

There are a number of different 'standby' states ranging from just stopping the CPU to shutting the system down almost completely and saving all open work to disk. The in between state is what most people consider standby and basically your open session is held in RAM and the CPU, Fans, hard disk etc go to sleep so the power drawn by the system is greatly reduced.

Your PC is probably not reaching this state but just turning of the monitor and maybe the CPU, which is fine, though in the interests of the environment in may be a good idea to shut the system down completely if you think it won't be used for a while.

Paddy