Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive and Ram installation

• Please log in to reply

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well im pretty young, only 15 right now so i havent yet installed a HD or RAM before. Im wondering, my motherboard supports up to 3 gigs of Ram, so if i already have 256, can i go ahead and install 512 and have 768 mg of ram? or will i have to take it out, i have 3 ddr slots so even if i have 2 128's then i can still use the 512 in the other slot. And i will probably need help installing the hd when i recieve it, i havent yet recieved either right now though.

Thanks for the help
:whistling:

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeah, that should work fine. Just be sure to check that the new ram and the old ram run at the same frequency (you can check this in either the POST or BIOS), and that they are the same module types (the connectors at the bottom look the same.) As for the hard drive...they are pretty easy to install. There are only two cables to plug in, and it's pretty obvious where they go. They can only be a little tricky if you want to use multiple hard drives. Good luck.

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Probably only want one hard drive, i dont have much to lose except for most of my graphic designs but oh well haha.

Thanks for the tips

Anthraqz

Anthraqz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Sorry for double post but i need to know, i have a cd burner, when i go into Device Manager it says its called: WDC WD400JB-00FMA0, its an LG cd burner, so i need to know if i need a driver or something for it to work..
And can someone please list all the drivers i need because im in a block right now and cant think of any except sound card and video card..

Thanks. :whistling: