Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zip files

• Please log in to reply

bmccann

bmccann

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

When I click on a download link for a zip file, Xp automatically downloads the zip file in an explorer window in this location
C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

How do I shut this off I want to be able to save the zip to a chosen location and open it later

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
-B

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bmccann...

If using Firefox: Click on "Tools" on the toolbar and choose "Options". In the Options window, click the "Downloads" icon (upper right). In the "Download Folder" section, select the radio button next to "Save all files to this folder:" and then use the Browse button to choose the new location. Click "Ok" to apply the change.

If using IE: Start the download and, in the "Save" window, browse to the location to download to. IE will use this location each time you download unless you change it.

wannabe1

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Wannabe 1, just for my education, would it mean that if I wanted to automaticly excicute zip files I should download them to bellow or do you think that this is just a fluke in his configaration, sorry.

C:\Documents and Settings\Brian\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\

bmccann

bmccann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi wannabe1,

When I click on a link (ie new jdk) I don't get a chance to choose if I want to download
or save the zip, XP just downloads it and opens an exlporer window showing the contents

--B

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I guess I didn't address the whole issue, did I... :whistling:

Open Control Panel and double-click on "Folder Options". Under the "File Types" tab, scroll down the list to "Zip" and select it. In the "Details for "Zip" extension" section, click the "Advanced" button. Make sure that "Find" is selected in the "Action" window rather than "Open" and that the "Confirm open after download" radio button is selected. Apply the change.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 April 2006 - 05:30 PM.