Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Install Question

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
When I do fresh installs, it seems like sometimes some of the drivers are missing or the computer does not see the modem afterwards. Also, I can never seem to change the screen resolution...it's just stuck with the ugly large icons. Plus have a heck of a time trying to get a network card to install

Can someone please enlighten me on this topic?

thank you...

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 07 April 2006 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi daddy...

It's drivers...you need to install all the drivers for your devices. Most, if not all, can be found on the internet if you don't have the disks that contain them.

Have a look in Device Manager...any yellow ? or ! will indicate a device that needs a driver.

wannabe1

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Wuz up daddy.

Yip usually when you do a fresh install of 98 you will have to re-load all the drivers again.

does not see the modem

You will have to install your modems drivers

can never seem to change the screen resolution

You have to install graphic card drivers

stuck with the ugly large icons

This also has to do with the graphic drivers.

So all in all, the main problem here is the drivers that need to be installed.

Cool :whistling:

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks guys! See, I was always under the impression that any install of an OS would contain the minimum amount of drivers for EVERYTHING to work and then if I wanted to upgrade or add hardware on I would have to upload new drivers. I understand the screen resolution thing, but I don't understand why the modem wouldn't have "generic" drivers to make it work.

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
XP has a good driver cache, but the older operating systems are pretty loose in this area.

If you need help finding the drivers for your hardware, download Everest, run it on the machine, save a report (I prefer them in HTML), and attach it to a post here. I can then point you to the downloads for the drivers you need.

wannabe1

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey wannabe...is there some other software besides Everest??? I think they have gone commercial now? Getting ready to do a fresh install of 98 SE here at work today and I would like to have all my drivers at least by the end of the day. Thanks.

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok wannabe...I have done a fresh install. I also installed everest and ran a report for you which I will attach to this post. My questions are...what drivers do I need to get rid of the HUGE icons and get the display to a higher resolution and the network card we need to install is made by D-Link model DFE-530TX+

We always have problems getting that booger to work. Is there a simple way and a simple driver?

Well, you will know what I need by the report I guess, right?

Thanks,

peace out,
daddy

It won't let me attach an htm file??? Oh well, here is a link then:
REPORT LINK

Edited by daddy, 01 May 2006 - 03:03 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Daddy...

For your Video Driver: Go to THIS PAGE, type W82474EN.EXE into the search box (top left), and click "Go". That will take you to the download for the drivers.

For the Network Card: CLICK HERE.

Download the files from the links provided and save them to your desktop. Double click on them to start the installation.

Let me know if you have any problems with this...

wannabe1

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey wannabe...here is what happens. The monitor driver worked great :-) That is done. Now to that pesky network card driver. I put the file on the desktop and clicked on it. It self extracted to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

So I then went there and clicked on the install file and it gave a "fail" message. when I try clicking on the application itself, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? This is a problem I have had with this before and can never get this [bleep] driver installed. HELP!!!!!!

Also...I found an installation guide online for the network card (if you have the install CD!!!) and it says I have to pre-install the drivers before even inserting the network card into the PC slot??? Just an FYI...don't know if there is a work around. I just be happy to have a driver I can install simply :-)

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 02 May 2006 - 12:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try updating the driver from Device Manager. Locate the Network card there, right click on it and choose "Properties". Under the "General" tab, click on the "Reinstall Driver" button. Point the Wizard to the Temp folder to find the drivers.

Let me know how that goes.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey wannabe...thanks for the help. This is what I had to do to get that network card to work. First I unzipped the driver files onto a CD. I then went to the computer that needed it installed. I first removed the network card from the pc slot. Then I booted the computer up. As soon as it was booted I shut it down again and unplugged it. I then inserted the network card back into it's slot. I booted up and got the "Add new hardware Wizard" seeing the network card in the slot. I then inserted the Cd into the drive. As I went throught the wizard I ended up choosing the browse to feature when asked where to get the drivers. I typed in D:\Win98

All was found just fine and then I had to remove the CD and insert the 98 OS CD to finish the installation. It was a success, finally! Such a hard process to just get a driver in. Today we set up the computer to the network and it see's everything just fine. I guess I am now "the computer" guy at work...LOL

Thanks for all your help bro :-)

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good job, guru daddy!!! :help:

That does seem to be the long way round for a driver install...but if it works, hey. :whistling:

Always glad to lend a hand! :blink:

Edited by wannabe1, 03 May 2006 - 09:08 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Wannabe...You are not going to believe this...I can't. Today we go and turn on the "freshly cleaned" computer and up pops the desktop with the following message:

ERROR LOADING EXPLORER.EXE
YOU MUST REINSTALL WINDOWS

Then I clicked on the OK button and this is the next message I got:

UNABLE TO RUN C:\Windows\system\mstask.exe

Well, we unplugged the computer, plugged it back in and it booted up just fine!!!

Anyhow, before we load all the programs on, what would have caused those error message on a freshly cleaned machine??

peace out,
daddy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This should be easy compared to the last mess... :whistling:

Windows 98SE will overlay quite nicely and should leave your drivers, data, and settings in place. Boot to the Startup floppy using the "Start with cd-rom support" option. Once at the command prompt, type e: and press "Enter". At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Windows should install over itself, replacing any missing or corrupt files.

Let me know how this goes....

wannabe1