Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem File Sharing on Wireless Network (Me + XP)

• Please log in to reply

Nick052

Nick052

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I have successfully set up a wireless network which allows me to share an internet connection from a Windows ME machine to a Windows XP machine.

I now want to be able to go on the XP machine and view/copy files that on the Windows ME hard drive, but am having some problems.

I have followed the home networking wizard (and also gone through File and Print sharing on the network properties) on the ME machine to set this up, and have set the C: drive to be shared (with no password).

If I then go on the XP machine and look at "mshome" via My Network Places, I can successfully see the ME computer.

However, when i double click on it, it says that it is not possible to connect, and that I may not have permission and need to contact the network administrator.

I'm guessing this is something to do with Windows ME being less-than-efficient at this kind of this, but I have tried everything to make it share files with the XP machine.

Anyone any ideas? I have enabled file and print sharing on the ME machine.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

I have had similar problems with home networking. My dad showed me a way to share files over the network which has helped me in multiple situations and has alleviated the problem.

Try this:

-Go to Network Connections
-Right-click on the network adapter you use to connect to the network, and click properties
-On the Local Area Connections Properties scree, Click the 'Install' button
-On the Select Network Component Type screen, Double-click 'Protocol'
-Select 'NetBIOS' <--(Sorry for being so basic, but I don't remember exactly what the option is. I'll update this with what it actually says when I get home from work)

That should do it though man. I will update this if there is anything I am missing.

Cheers

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

As I am not able to test this at the moment, can I confirm whether I do this on the XP machine or the ME machine?

Cheers.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Following the steps I listed above, the NetBIOS thing I was referring to is highlighted in the picture I have provided a link for. This screen is from Windows XP Pro. It may be different from Home and ME but it should be roughly the same thing.

http://img482.images...6/screen0ja.jpg

In any case, add that protocol to the list of things installed on your connection to the network. Try doing it on the XP machine first. If you still can't get it to go, do the same on both. In my personal opinion, just do it on both machines right away. This should do it. If it doesn't, then I will leave it to someone who has an answer. Hope this helps though.

Cheers.

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I do not have any Local Area Connections since I am on wireless - shall I still try adding this on the properties for the Wireless Network or do I risk messing up the connection?
Cheers.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

Yeah man, basically just set up those properties for your wireless card. I've done it on wireless networks before. It has worked. And don't worry, it won't mess anything up, you're just installing a new protocol. If for some reason, the connection stops working, uninstall it, no big deal. Hope this helps.

Cheers