Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding a harddrive.

• Please log in to reply

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i got a 8 gig hardrive that i want to put into my pc. i need to know how to connect it and what to do with it. i have almost no clue what i am doing installing a drive but im gunna try. it is a seagate drive and says to use s program called. DIsc wizzard. what do i do?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Set the jumper on the back to the slave position, then go into the system and attach it on the same IDE cable that goes into your current HD and attach the power so it looks the same as the primary. Thats the simple explanation for you, once its in boot up to windows as normal and you can format it from my computer.

Google will give you stacks of info on installing HDDs though if you need more information and it wll get you pictures as well.

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
ok so i take the thickish gery clabe that goes into my current harddrive and find a connector on it that is not pluged into the harddrive or motherboard? heres what im think ing....

connecter do i put the slave harddrive on this connector?
^ ^
MOTHERBOARD=-------------------=-------------------=empty

ok i have the robbion going into the motherboard onto the primary idea slot, the primary one has my cd-roms. my harddrive is a sata i think because the drive plkugs straight into the mother board and ther is no ribbon cord thing.. i need to know what to do!

it is also the only drive on that ribbon, im gunna try makeing it a master and see what that does...

Edited by tom_beach22, 07 April 2006 - 09:45 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So the drive you have now is a SATA and you want to add an IDE drive(assuming this because you dont get 8gigSATA drives to my knowledge).

From what i can gather you have your optical drives connected via IDE on the primary IDE channel to the motherboard.

Just to make sure you have a SATA hard drive they look like 08_04_06_1658.jpg

What you should have on your motherboard is TWO IDE channels one next to the other most have two its not often you just have one. Easiest thing to do is just to connect the Hard drive on its own channel, they can sometime get a bit iffy if they have to share with optical drives. It will just connect the same way as your optical drives do if it is an IDE.

Setting the drive as a slave is easy enough you have to move the jumpers into the slave position or remove them depending on the drive, it should be written on the drive though next to the jumpers.

But a google search turns up lots of info better than what i can explain to you, http://www.google.co...le Search&meta= with more pictures as well. Try it and reference this and the guides there, and then if there is specific problems come back and e can get them solved. I wouldnt worry there isnt much you can break installing a hard drive(knock on wood).

Edited by warriorscot, 08 April 2006 - 11:10 AM.

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
thanks for your help :whistling: :blink: