Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Please help me with my slow computer. It is 2 years old and is acting like i will when im 80. Please help me speed it up so it is like new again. Please give me some pointers of what I should do. If you would like a HJT log, please ask. Ill be happy to provide one. Just soimething needs to be done to fix this slow thing.

GeekMan

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
HI GeekMan...

Yea...attach a HiJackThis log for me...let's see what's running on that machine of yours.

wannabe1

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there GeekMan, you can start by uninstalling all those old programs you dont use anymore.

(Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs)

When you click on a program it will also tell you if you use it or dont use it (Eg. Office = rarely)

Dont uninstall all of the rarely one's, make up your own mind on the programs you use or dont use.

Cool :whistling:

GeekMan

GeekMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Ok, thank you for your help.

I have gotten rid of all of my old programs and done a defrag. Here is my log.

I have attached it that way people will not just start posting their logs in this forum since people with malware shopuld post in the malware section.

Attached Files

Edited by GeekMan, 07 April 2006 - 05:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GeekMan...

It's not what I was looking for, but you still have some stuff on the machine that needs to be cleaned up. I know that at least one of these goblins can cause the slowness you describe. I'm going to send you over to Malware so the experts can take care of that end. Once you are finished there, if you are still having problems, come on back to this thread and we'll dig a little deeper.

If you will post me a link to your topic there, I'll follow along with the fix to stay up to date.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

wannabe1