Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat HELP!

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello guys, well its been awhile since I have posted here due to a problem, but sadly I come here today for your help yet again.

I was getting the blue screen of death due to a file(s) being corrupted, and took it to my local lan center, and they fixed it right up, but didn't reformat it. I am in dire need of reformating, and I have the information I want to save, saved. But let me get to the point. I don't know where I placed my motherboard disc, or my video card disc. The one with all the drivers needed. I usually download alot of the drivers to a disc before I reformat so I dont spend forever trying to find them. I don't know where to find the drivers at, and everyone I do find pops up with an error saying there is no driver to update on or something or other.

I don't know if there is a program that will tell you what I already have, but the main drivers I need, are my video card drivers (nVidia 5600) I dont know if its an ultra or whatever, but my motherboard is a k8v deluxe with the chipset for my video card I think it is.

:whistling: It's pretty plain but thats all I think I need, I have sound card drivers, and other programs I want.

EDIT: Its on a windows XP operation platform, thanks in advance.

Edited by DOH!, 08 April 2006 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well all you need is the drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturers site or the disk you get with the motherboard if you have it. Other than that get the nvidia drivers from there website conveniently www.nvidia.com , if you use SATA drives you will need SATA drivers for your mobo those you get on the board manufacturers site and those are the only drivers actually required to install windows, but thats only if you actually use a SATA hard drive.

If you need to find out the makers and model numbers you can use PCwizard 2006 or there is a smaller program that gives less info but doesnt need installed but it will give you what you need.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply man. I actually don't have the disks. But I ran the program you recommended and this is what it came up with

PC Wizard 2006 Version 1.68
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Sunday 09 April 2006 at 01:37

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8V

> Chipset : VIA K8T800 (VT8383)

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600 [NV31.2]

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (80 GB)

> CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B

> DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B

> Network Card : 3COM Corp, Networking Division 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet PCI CODEC

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

***** End of report *****

I know the websites to get the drivers at, but I don't know which ones to get, they are always the wrong ones :whistling: . So basically what I am asking is for someone to basically find the drivers I need/require so I can do this reformat. Let me know what other information you need to help me get the drivers/updates, to get everything up to date when I reforma :blink: t. Thanks in advance guys!

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The NVIDIA Setupd program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

See thats what I get when I download any kind of driver for my video card, and when I do get one that will work, its either out of date, or something. Cause when I scroll down or up, its all super choppy. Like you can watch it refreshing in front of you. So pathetic.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Bump, come on guys please help me out...