Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro SP2 won't hibernate or Stand By on HP Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Prakash Wadhwani

Prakash Wadhwani

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi !

I have an HP Compaq nx9010 laptop for the past 2 yrs which came pre-installed with WinXP Pro SP1. Everything was working fine including the Stand By & Hibernate feature.

Yesterday I formatted & re-installed Windows (there was no recovery CD - just an OS CD {XPwithSP1} + a driver CD) & everything went fine. I then installed the SP2 pack. All ok except for the fact that I cannot get the laptop to go into Stand By or hibernation mode. It just goes to a blue screen saying "Preparing to hibernate" & hangs there till eternity.

I've combed the HP Site & upgraded my firmware but to no avail. I just cannot live without the stand-by & hibernation mode.

Can someone please give me some ideas ?

Thx & Best Rgds,
Prakash.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It was working previously with this laptop and sp2?

the most likely thing to address is a bios update, but since it was working before (*though you did not say this, I am assuming) that does not seem to be the solution.)

I would still do the bios update, though

In the process of the refresh, did you reset bios to defaults or anything?

Prakash Wadhwani

Prakash Wadhwani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It was working previously with this laptop & SP1.

Now I clean-installed WinXP Pro SP1 & then loaded SP2. (did not check hibernate feature prior to installing SP2).

Yes, I did download & install the bios updates but the problem still persists !!

No .. I've not touched the bios defaults or set it to anythiing else. So I guess they're the same. I simply updated the bios.

I'm really at my wit's end.

Rgds,
Prakash.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
check bios and look for power management ... what are the settings?