Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can I restore f11 key

• Please log in to reply

MFrances

MFrances

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can I restore the use of the f11 key for my dimension 4600 xp home edition if I reinstall operating system a while ago. Plus the user's guide and software guide on help and support for dell dimension 4600

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you use the 'recovery' cd that should have been supplied with the computer, then everything should be back the way it was originally.

MFrances

MFrances

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Did all that with resource cd but my f11 key doesn't work . If I try to use it, it tell me that I have a keyboard failure......Remember I re-installed windows xp and lost Dell user's and system guide plus software guide that was original on computer... Is there anything that I can do to reinstall this or is it just lost................ NO recovery cd with dimension 4600 just resource cd

Edited by MFrances, 10 April 2006 - 07:33 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what did the f11 key do (not having a dell myself)

MFrances

MFrances

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It allowed me to restore as it was went I received the computer also lost dell user's and system guide plus software guide.... went to Dell site and can't recover these files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok....so....can I assume that you pressed the f11 key during boot up to restore to system factory settings. And then it went into a mostly text based installation routine?

If so, the answer is likely no. The f11 key was accessing a hidden partition with a specially created master boot record. When you reinstalled windows, you wiped out that master boot record (though the hidden partition may still be present).

To recreate that, you would need to re-image the drive. Dell may have a restoration cd that can do it, but re-creating that mbr without Dell's help---I just cannot see you being able to do that.

If you could find another dimension 4600, you could possible copy the MBR to your machine, but whether or not it will work is up in the air. If you wiped out the hidden paritition, it definitely will not. If you did not, it might work...

One such mbr copy tool can be found here:

http://mirror.href.c...sRefs.htm#PQMBR

MFrances

MFrances

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for your help Have a great day

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Acronis Will Give You this option if I 'm not mistaken. Have never use this option but I know what you can do with it is it will take a part of your HD and hide it and windows won't see and can't access. you can use this part for hiden storage or have a HD image or both stored there. After doing all that you will have the option that hit F11 on boot in case your computer won't boot to windows or you turn that part of HD on/off for windows to see and access.
Hope this help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, neat...they added that to Version 9?

Cool. I was going to wait until v10 to upgrade because v9 does not support my sata controller, but that is a nice feature that I was unaware was added

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
The only problem when I use Acronis is onece in awhile it fails me if I use it to back up lage amount of data through USB1.