Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning DVD's/CD's to play on DVD player?

• Please log in to reply

pedrossi

pedrossi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm new to burning DVD's and CD's. Pretty much all I've successfully burned in my lifetime is a few Music CD's using programs that did it all for me, I just dragged and dropped the songs onto the program :-\

I have a few movies on my PC that I'd like to watch on my TV. I went to walmart and bought a 15-pack of DVD-RW dvd's, and I know my PC's CD burner is also a DVD burner. I bought DVD-RW's because apparently you can re-burn stuff on them if you mess up. Me being a beginner, I'm pretty likely to mess up a few times before I get it right (but hopefully not).

How would I go about burning the movies onto the DVD, making sure it'll play on my DVD player or my PS2? Is there a simple easy-to-understand guide out there (so far I couldn't make sense of the ones I read)
Is there a program (hopefully free) that I can use? Do I have to worry about the format of the movie?

Thanks!

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if theese are pirated ( not accusing you ) movies then nobody on this site will help you
it is illegal to burn copy protected CD's and DVD's

DVD home movies are different things all together

but nobody here is going to tell you how to break the law and burn movies
it is a policy of this site,
troppo

pedrossi

pedrossi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well actually they're not pirated at all. Most of them are home videos (little brother's birthday party, etc) and a few of them are videos of my karate tournaments. I don't have the disks for these files but I have the files themselves on my PC (I think they're in AVI or MPEG format, not sure).

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well then,
nero 6 or 7 burning suite is the way to go
it has everything you need to burn video files
you should have got some softwear with your dvd burner that would be able to do it.
search through your cds and see if you can find the original disks that came with the system,
troppo

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Software aside, they are only going to play in certain DVD players that offer support for DVD-RW discs. Not all have this. To my knowledge, a PS2 is not going to be able to play any burned CD of any type without some type of mod chip and standard DVD players with DVD+R/-R/RW support run a little more than those without.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah not neccesarilly those players are more expensive you just have to look for them, for example my snoy DVD player(the wedge one) was one of the cheapest yet our other DVD player cost 3 or 4 times the price but the sony can play the DVDs i put together on nero and the expensive one cant(its a phillips i think).

A PS2 though is very fussy what it plays though, my brothers PS2 wont even play some normal DVDs and doesnt always play them well.

Nero 7 is what i reccomend its probably one of the better purchases you can make for a PC because of its huge range of features it can do everything media related and is actually really good for watching DVDs and videos. There is a list on applications forum of free DVD and CD burners wether those can convert to acceptable format though i something you would have to check but you can always use VCD gear to convert things into images.