Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Self-built: Secondary HD trouble

• Please log in to reply

Cytamius

Cytamius

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm building a computer for my friend and everything has gone quite well untill now. On my recomendation he has a primary smaller HD for windows and system apps and a secondary larger HD for his movie editing. The problem is that my bios and system hardware manager both recognize it and report it as functioning normally but windows will not assign a drive letter to it or allow me to assign a drive letter to it. For all intents and purposes that drive doesn't exist. I saw that there were problems with drives that were transfered from one computer to another but this is a brand new drive. Its never even been formatted. I can provide system and hardware specifics later when I have them on hand if that will help. He's been waiting for this thing for quite some time and I'm at a loss for how to fix this. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The drive needs to be partitioned and formatted in Windows before you can use it or before it'll show up in My Computer.

To do this, right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management. You should now see two drives in there. One will be marked as unallocated. Right-click it and choose New Partition, follow the wizard. You can then format it from there or from within My Computer.

Cytamius

Cytamius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I feel quite stupid lol. I've installed hard drives before and all autodetected and auto set up. It seems to be working. Its formatting but its going to take a while for 250 gigs so I can't be sure that it will work till its done. I have a good feeling though. Thanks.