Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How about a "Pet Peeves - air 'em out!"

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Once again, this is lighthearted, no real complaints please.

I have some:
Hearing "have a nice day'
Hearing "sorry all our lines are occupied, would you like to hold"(no I would love to in fact)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"the thing isn't working when i do the stuff with it"
WHAT THING....WHAT STUFF?!?!?!?!?!?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry must say it, but very quietly here in this cave(shop): RAIDing goblins and that moment when they fling their hands back into the air in defeat, somehow I have got very good a catching their screwdrivers before they land on the clients, anyway I return them their screwdrivers and being true goblins back they go as if nothing had happened.

PS does this ring a bell anybody?

Edited by fleamailman, 10 April 2006 - 03:54 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh ive a few, people making up names for computer components they dont know the name for.

A biggy my maths lecturers thinking that Advanced calculus should be as easy to me as it is for them, moving away from the difficult coursework to go over the more difficult methods of manually calculation logarithm and sign tables just in case we are ever trapped on a desert island without a calculator or a slide rule and have the time to do maths.

Being called a Yahh by the people from Heriot [bleep], (besides people from Edinburgh are RAHHs not Yahhs) and im not posh or english so thats an unfair stereotype, i know it jealousy but still theres like one english person on my degree course yet we are all Yahhs, just not right.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Pet peeves, hmm I know I've definitely got them, but they escape me at the moment.

However, I'll share this.. it's not really a pet peeve, but more plain "weirdness" on my part. I absolutely cannot stand the feel of cardboard. I hate it and I absolutely won't touch it with my barehands. When I worked at restaurants I would put on rubbergloves to tear the boxes down or take them to the trash. Fun stuff lol

derek44

derek44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
1)When youre at the gym and a group of scrawny teenagers sit on the machines not using them just talking to each other.
2)People who drive around the parking lot for 15 minutes to find a closer space and the walk from the back of the parking lot only takes 3 minutes to walk.
3)People who get angry when you don't pretend to care about what they are saying or doing.
I have many,many more but will keep it down to the first 3 that popped into my head.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Oh yes one more, when you turn over the laptop and notice that there are three different type of screws to change the ram, or the harddrive, um, extra security I suppose.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one that goes along with yours there flea...

when you go to fix a friend's laptop and you turn it over and there are three seperate COA (certificate of authenticity) stickers on the bottom of the computer....yet they only have one xp cd...hmmm...wonder how that happened?

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
1. The feel of cotton
2. The sound of squeaking brakes
3. People wearing bluetooth headsets at the movies
4. People that talk on their cellphones in resturants
5. People that chew with their mouth open
6. Slow service
7. When you get 8 restore disks that are all the same
8. When there are 3 different screws securing the ram in place
9. Dead pixels
10. Slow drivers

Dont worry. I have plenty more to go.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
People asking "how ya doing" when we both know [bleep] well they couldn't care less...

I'll give you an actual conversation I had with the GM of my company:

GM: "Morning, Aaron, how ya doing?"
Me: "What's up, Mike?"
GM: "That's good."

That SOB wasn't even listening! Still makes me angry. Don't ask the freakin question if you don't want the answer!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
When your canned is near keith's, and your reply is near warriorscot's, um flea'sized then

Edited by fleamailman, 11 April 2006 - 04:44 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol. Im not sure if thats good or bad flea, off the cuff always worked best Keiths replies are always wonderfully technicolour but i like to mix it up. I should really use canned speaches given my memory but i cant be bothered writing them up.

Guse happens all the time mate. You know its the same at uni your always making random pleasantries with people you met maybe once during freshers or saw vagely at a distance, your tutors always try to be nice but you can see they just want to get back to the PhD and no one ever listens to anyone. Its great.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
No I stick to my guns here, for example my spring cleaning canned then, oh and for once I am not joking. I dare not put keith's near but it is exactly the same text

Time to use your "runbox" to clean your computer,
(all these steps are done with the run box then)

Run Box
find and press the keys; the Windows flag botton and the R botton together(up pops the runbox)
(all these steps can be simply done by typing commands in the run box then)

Step1 deleting the prefetch files
type, or cut/paste this to runbox: prefetch
press: enter
(the prefetch folder opens)
press: Ctrl botton with the A botton(select all is the same)
press: shift + delete botton(deletes with prompt)

Step2 disc clean up
type or cut/paste this to runbox: cleanmgr.exe
choose drive(normally C: but comps differ)
press: enter(this process can take a long time)

Step3 disc defragmenter
type or cut/paste this to runbox: dfrg.msc
press enter(this process can take a long time)

Step4 checkdisk
type, or cut/paste this to runbox: chkdsk /f /r
press: enter( black window appears)
press: Y botton
press: enter
reboot the computer(this process is the longest, worse the screen may be lost before hours later the computer arrives at the welcome screen)

Last download the final clean up.
cleanup
http://www.stevengou.../cleanup/ysspec

My bet is someone will now sticks keith's below, I shall go to bed and flea.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when people either
A: talk on a ccellphone while in a public restroom (usually sitting on the commode while talking...RUUDE)

B: Insist on talking to you while using the urinal next to you....DUDE..i'm busy....give me a minute

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
"...Oh, and why do they always put the computer mags on the top shelf right next to the girly ones..." asked the goblin that was then forced to demand a stool form the girl at the counter who as usual would come with the stool, a brown paper bag and looks to freeze fire.

Edited by fleamailman, 20 April 2006 - 04:26 PM.