Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get my brother online

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I posted a long time ago about not being able to get my brother online with a wireless network (in which both of the computers are wireless). I still have yet to get him online. I've tried many different times with the same configuration. I get one computer that is connected and the other one is not. I've tried wiring the modem directly to the computer and bypassing the router, but still could not get online. I even tried wiring the connection to see if it would see the router, in which it would still not connect. Both of the computers obtain IP address automatically. However, one computer connects and the other doesn't. I've tried logging into the router and all the information is the same. I've tried resetting the router, and it still doesn't work.

However, I decided to bring the computer back to my house to see if it would work at my house and it was able to connect without hassle and the internet works. However, at his house the internet does not work on his house.

I've also tried resetting the network up 17 times. All unsuccesful. I replaced the surge protector.
Anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Edited by williesbest2, 11 April 2006 - 09:39 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi williesbest2,

That's definitely an odd one. What type of Network Adapter (make/model) does he have? What type (make/model) of router does he have? What type of router do you have? What type of Network Adapter do you have?

Have you checked his EventLog for any errors at his house? Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within. (Not really expecting any relevant errors to show up, but it's worth a glance).

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Hi. His network has this Belkin router and two of these USB Adapters. My router is a Microsoft MN-730 with two Microsoft PCI Adapters. There are no errors in event viewer.

Edited by williesbest2, 12 April 2006 - 05:04 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Just for kicks, could you try installing your Wireless Adapter on his computer, and see if he can connect to his router via your adapter?