Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Server

• Please log in to reply

Propmaster

Propmaster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
I have a virtual server from GoDaddy. I can't get any help out of them. Here is my server info:

fedora2
plesk7.5.4
mysql 3.23.58-16.FC2.1

I need to upgrade to MYSQL 4.0.22 because some of the software on my main domain requires it to run the much needed cron jobs. Until this is upgraded, my site is down. I was told to install "YUM" and it would update automatically. Well, I got it installed but I needed to add some code to the "tum.conf" file befor it would work. That is where I am stopped. I have no idea as to how to upload a file to the servers "root". Please help!!!
Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot install to the server root.

Godaddy would be insane to give that kind of access to users.

I'm not sure what "cannot get any help" means, but did you try and ask them to move you to a server that does have mysql 4.0.22? Or is the issue that you need to move backwards?

Many servers have 4.0.25 or even 5.0 (though many hosts are reluctant to move to 5 since it will break a ton of apps.

So, what many hosts do is they have some servers provisioned one way and other provisioned another---if you need a certain setup, you ask to be moved to a server that has that setup.

Propmaster

Propmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You misunderstood me... it is my server... I got it thru godaddy. They told me if I want MYSQL upgraded, it is up to me to do it. I have no idea how to access root and from what I've read, I am afraid to even try for fear of messing up the whole server.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they either mean ROOT user or the \ directory. the \ directory in linux is like c:\ in windows...it's the beginning of the file system...if they mean the root user...that's the system administrator user the password to which you should have...

edit: sorry i mean the / directory in linux....silly slashes can't ever get them straight

Propmaster

Propmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi and thanks.... I know what they are meaning by the root directory. The thing I need to know is how to upload a file to the root directory. I have the program "Putty". Can that be used and if so, how? I just need to upload 1 file to the etc/ directory in order to run the YUM program which will upgrade the MYSQL for me.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you upload the YUM program there? how did you upload your webpages HTML pages to the server? usually you do that with ftp...or maybe putty (haven't used that ever...heard of it though)

Propmaster

Propmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I uploaded the Yum program, there was a code that I put into Putty and it uploaded it for me right from their download site. As far as uploading my sites, etc, that was done with ftp. That was easily done because there was no need to access the Server Root files. I can access the server root using FTP but it won't allow access to upload anything to it.
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ask go-daddy how to upload files to the root of the server or more poignantly to the etc folder....
it begs the question as to what you really are allowed access on this server if it's "your" server... the /etc folder technically isn't root as it's got something after the / ....you say you've tried to ftp to the /etc folder?

Propmaster

Propmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I tried FTP and access is denied on upload. I can download from that dir alright though. It however is in the root directory though. I ask Go Daddy and they said it is my server and not their problem. Said when I accepted the agreement, it stated I am responsible for everything on the server.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...are you logging on to the server as the ROOT user? if they are not taking responsibility for the box then they should have given you the ROOT password in which case you would log on to the machine as root with that password