Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying Windows update Restart

• Please log in to reply

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
[bleep] pc restarted by itself, and i had a few programs opened with files that were lost..., thanks to an important windows update that restarted my pc by itself, af.

It's the first time it happens and its pretty annoying.....

Anyway, my question is that, im at home, and im the only user at my pc, i have only one account ( btw, im running XP Pro SP2 ), which is as an administrator account, now, when im on the 'Automatic Update' window, everything is greyed out.......

So after reading the help file from there it says:

If your computer is part of a network, your network administrator might have configured your Automatic Updates options for you. Network administrators often need to implement systemwide changes to help make sure that the network operates smoothly and more securely whenever changes, such as updates, are applied. Your options might also be grayed out if you are not an administrator for your computer. Only administrators can add or remove programs, including updates.

so, being the only user on my pc, i have the administrator account, and secondly i do have a small network at home, but its just a pc and a mac sharing a router, and i set it with my account, so i have no idea why i cant modify the windows updates settings....

any help will be appreciated......

thanks in advance

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If you have admin privileges, you should be able to go to start, my computer right click properties, and view the automatic updates tab. Changes can be made there.

coljung

coljung

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i went through there and no luck either.

my account ( the only one actually ) is set to 'administrator', so i have no idea why i dont have access to it.

where could i check to see if my account has like network administrator privileges, it has to be somewhere on my computer because the only other computer connected in the network is a Mac ...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > settings > control panel > automatic updates > from theree..either turn them off..or set it to the "download automatically but let me decide when to install them"

coljung

coljung

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

start > settings > control panel > automatic updates > from theree..either turn them off..or set it to the "download automatically but let me decide when to install them"

yes i know its there ( start-> control panel -> security center -> automatic updates ) but everything on that window is greyed out , like if my account does not have enough privileges to change that ( and as i said before mine is the only account and its set to administrator ).

so my question here is not how to modify it but then how can i check if maybe my account does not have any network administrator rights.

thanks in advance

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
during bo0t up when you get to to the place where you pick your user...press ctrl alt del twice...that should bring up a classic login menu...enter administrator as the user...and the password (if you don't know it it's probably blank)....you may need to try booting to safe mode for this...so try that as well...

once you're logged in as the REAL administrator go to the windows updates settings and see if you can change them..