Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lots of problems

• Please log in to reply

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
right, my pc was reformatted.

when i start windows up it starts fine then comes up with a blue screen, restart your computer etc.

so i restart it, it then comes up with a black screen saying: safe mode, last good know set up, start windows normally

i click start windows normally and then it returns to the blue screen.

i then do this again but start it in last good know set up (or something along those lines) it then starts up.

once started up i change my desktop resolution, install my cd drive, install usb so i can connect to the internet.

i then shut my computer down and again this happens. so when i go to the last good know set up and click it, it sets up with no changes from when i changed them before

i aint got a clue what is happening

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi IAIN -Y-!

Can you please tell me what it says on the blue screen that appears? It should show alot of text, but there should be a line that shows a statement in all capital letters, like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but not necessarily that exact statement.

If the blue screen appears too quickly for you to read it, please boot into Safe Mode and Turn off auto restart
  • Control Panel< System < Advanced < Startup and recovery
  • Uncheck the Auto Restart box.
Once you have done this next time it will give you a Blue Screen of Death with a STOP code instead of rebooting. Please post the STOP code in your next post.

HOW TO BOOT INTO SAFE MODE:
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 April 2006 - 06:03 PM.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
the blue screen states:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove and newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F To check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP 0x00000076 (0XF9E49640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X000000000)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with no problems?

Fenor

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
nope, it goes back to that blue screen like in normal set up

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well I found this if the "6" was mistaken for a "b"

STOP 0x00000076( b ) (0XF9E49640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X000000000) See where it could have been a mistake?

Well anyway here is a link from Microsoft with the same exact code.

Only question is did you did a true "Reformat" or a "system recovery" and Did you try and install Roxio?

http://support.micro...=811408&sd=RMVP

Hope this is it for ya

Regards ,
TakeBK

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Boot up the computer again to get the screen where you can choose Last Known Good Configuration, and choose that option so that you get to the desktop. Once there, right-click MY COMPUTER, click on PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. What items listed (if any) have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them?

Fenor

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
take bk i used the reformat off this site and no i have not installed roxio because i do not know what it is.

fenor, i have done this everytime to get onto the internet.

the cd driver and the usb modem in which i connect have the exclamation mark, i solve these by disabling, then enabling then updating driver, but everytime i do this and shut down the computer after i have finished it goes back to the blue screen

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

take bk i used the reformat off this site and no i have not installed roxio because i do not know what it is.

If you are using recovery disks to re-install it back to factory, it might have come with roxio on the computer to begin with so you dont even know you are installing it.It was just part of the package from the factory.

If you are installing from a store bought original XP cd then disregard

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

take bk i used the reformat off this site

Forgot about this one.

I don't know what or where that is on this site,so I dont know what procedure it was you used.

TakeBK

Advertisements

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
the cd came with the pc

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets take this one step at a time here. Let's first try to diagnose what is actually causing the problems. You say that you reset your desktop resolution each time after you get the BSOD. How about leaving the USB adapter and CD drive alone this time (unplugging the usb network adapter from the computer completely) and just change the resolution. Then shut down your PC and then turn it back on. If the resolution stays the same, then install your CD-ROM and again shut down the PC and turn it back on and see if you are able to boot into Windows without getting the BSOD.

Report back how this went and we will move onto installing the USB adapter.

Fenor

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
but when i restart it after changing the resolution i presume it will just reboot to that blue screen, il try it now though

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
right i have done what you said:

i disconnected all my usb leads and then restarted my computer, it went to the blue screen again so i had to restart and open in last good configuration. once i did this and change my resolution, i restarted the computer in normal mode and this again went to the blue screen, i then repeated this process and started it up in last good configuration and the resolution was again back where i started. i then did the cd thing and was the same results as above

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
that any help fenor?