Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slave drive

• Please log in to reply

adambcohen

adambcohen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Let me see if I can explain this right. I took a 6g hard drive that I had and put it into a portable drive case. Then I went to my computer which is running xp pro and formatted the drive. Next, I took that drive out of the case and changed the jumper on the drive to slave. Now I take the drive and put it onto a system that is running win95. So, now I have a 2g hard drive running win95 and the 6g is the slave. This is where my problem starts. When I go into the bios I can see the slave, but once in win95 I can not see the drive. I know that xp is ntfs, (I think that is right), and that is can read fat, fat16, and fat32. With that being said I guess win95 can only read fat or fat16. Any help on this issue would be great.
Thanks In Advance
Adam Cohen

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 95 has three issues when it comes to hard drives:

1) Absolute upper limit of 32Gb drive size.

2) Cannot read FAT32 or NTFS drives. Will only read FAT drives, including FAT12 (floppies) and FAT16.

3) Doesn't like anything bigger than 2Gb per partition. The solution round this would be to repartition the 6Gb HDD into three lots of 2Gb but this of course wipes the data.

Because there is no USB support in Win95 (as a general rule unless you're lucky enough to have the later version), using the portable drive case (I presume you mean a caddy) is a no-go option either.

Your best bet if you want the files to go on the Win95 computer is to either burn them to CD and copy them that way, or copy them over a network.

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for the help. So the reality is to partion the 6g into 2s which I can do, not a problem. Now my next question is then how to format the drive so that it will allow me to do that. The caddy was only being used to format the drive from an xp computer. I am assuming I can download a boot disk from the internet and put the correct files on the hard drive and go from there....correct? Let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have.
Thanks Again
Adam

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Adam
What you need to do is format the drive with FDISK
Use the 1st part of this to see how it works
fdisk

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 13 April 2006 - 02:07 AM.