Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New pc - major prob (win32x.sys?)

• Please log in to reply

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, im sitting here about to cry! Literally! I know next to nothing bout this situation so i'll say it as best i can - got a new pc 2 days ago, Windows XP OS. Everything going ok until about 3 hours ago....was downloading something on Limewire when suddenly everything shuts down and the pc turned off. I turned it on, and it wont even boot up. I got a message saying 'error Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA' in file Win32k.sys. I literally cant boot up the pc, i tried SAFE MODE, wont work, tried Last Known Config...wont work, i cant do anything at all. Anybody help me????

Asked to merge the topics :whistling:

Advertisements

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I posted below as well just forgot to mention its a blue screen with the error Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, problem with win32x file. Im a complete non-tech person and im freaking out so bad here , new pc 2 days old. Im pulling my hair out.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi rooneydives! Welcome to G2G!

You said you tried Safe Mode, but did you try Safe Mode with Networking? If you haven't then please do so and let me know how it goes and we will go from there.

Fenor

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Fenor thanks for your reply. I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networkign an Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Its a compaq pc, it has this F10 option for System Recovery but when i pressed that in desperation it only went to the Blue Screen with the error msg. I have tried to boot normally, or Last Known Good Config and each time what happens is it goes from the Compaq screen to a black screen and then the Compaq screen reappears. Its like Groundhog Day!!! I cant get past that screen. This is just a guess but is it some type of virus , maybe something to do with Limewire?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't see the cd, is it def supposed to be there? Some guy from the pc store set up the pc. I'll keep looking but is there an alternative if i can't find it?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes there is an alternative as long as you have the capability to burn CD's on the computer you are currently using to access this site. You can download the ISO (cd image) of the Recovery Console from HERE. You will need a program like Nero to burn the image to a CD. Once you have the CD burned, following the steps in my previous post to enter the Recovery Console and run the chkdsk /p /r.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 April 2006 - 08:54 PM.

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm downloading Nero now and will burn the cd, then follow your instructions.

rooneydives

rooneydives

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I found the XP cd, put it in, followed all your instructions, went into Recovery, ran chkdsk /p /r completed it, took out the cd, and nothing has changed. Still can't get past the Compaq scree no matter what i try to do. If i hit F10 for PC Recovery i'm led to the Blue Screen with the error message. Is there anything else i can do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have anything extremely important that you need saved off your computer? Because if you don't, then what I suggest you do is do a fresh installation of Windows, including deleting the current partition, creating a new one and formatting it. See HERE for a guide on doing a fresh installation of Windows XP.

JUST MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU GET TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CHOOSE WHAT TYPE OF FORMAT TO PERFORM THAT YOU CHOOSE NTFS AND NOT NTFS QUICK!!!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 April 2006 - 03:41 PM.

musashi wins!

musashi wins!

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have to respond and bump this because it's the only place on the net I've found the same problem I'm having. I got as far as the advice posted here without result. I've reinstalled windows, updated every driver, new bios, etc.

Here are my details...

Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. Didn't just get it, I bought it used from a woman who couldn't solve this problem. My computer will boot but it crashes to blue screen at irregular intervals and gives the Page Error and sometimes cites win32x.sys as the spot of the exception. Usually the computer will reboot in a turn or two, and then eventually it will have the same problem again. Sometimes in quick succession. I'm out of options, I would think heat related but the fan is running.

Is there a manual control for fans on these laptops so I can rule that out? Any help would be very appreciated.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi musashi_wins!

Please start your own topic. You may, if you wish, post a link to this topic saying that you are having a similar problem and that you have tried everything posted in said topic but have had no luck as of yet and someone will help you from there.

Fenor