Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode / Normal Mode etc.

• Please log in to reply

monkeyboygl

monkeyboygl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: hi im new. looks like good advice is readily given on this forum, so im gonna give it a whirl. i run XP home edition on a eMachine at home...i know, it was cheap. Im writing this from my work computer.... the other day norton said i had a virus, and of course, they couldnt repair it , so i had directions to repair it myself.
Norton website told me to do the following:

start>mycomputer(right click)>prop>system restore> then CHECK the box for "turn off system restore", then i was to reboot in Safe Mode and run norton in safemode to locate the virus. i did all this, i got to safe mode and norton antivirus wouldnt run. so i went to restart in NORMAL mode, so i could REaccess the internet to contact norton. well, this is where i ran into a problem. my computer will not let me go back to normal mode. and XP wont let me Turn on System Restore from safe mode. so basically everytime i restart, it goes directly to safe mode instead of normal mode, and i dont know how to return my computer to normal mode. when i restart a little window comes up, after the blue admin/user screen and says something to the effect of, "do you want to continune in SAFE mode or NORMAL mode." i click normal, then it says something to the effect of, " you must turn system restore ON and then restart in normal mode". cant do that in safe mode though. please help. i honestly appreciate it.

-G

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what method did you use to start in safe mode? Tap the f8 key or use msconfig, or edit the boot.ini file?