Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

quincyjones

quincyjones

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi again!
I'd like to find out what types of internet security you'd recommend for someone running XP sp2 (on the net alot)? It gets so confusing with adware, spyware, antivirus, firewall, etc..
For example, do you still need anti-spyware if you have a good firewall? -Why?
Is there freeware that can cover me properly?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Common sense will do you better than any program

As for programs

An actively updated Antivirus (avg and avast are free)
An actively update anti-malware (ms Defender, spybot search and destroy, lavasoft ad-aware are free)
add to that spywareblaster, a program that blocks malware before it installs
a firewall (free ones ar getting fewer and farther between)--zonealarm is still free, outpost has a free version, jetco has a free one

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can find those in the centre pink column

http://www.filehippo.com/

Leave the cleaners where they are

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again! :help:

do you still need anti-spyware if you have a good firewall?

Aboslutely. The folks that create viri, spyware, and malware are constantly coming up with new ways to get around the security measures that are available to us. A firewall is good at blocking certain traffic in and out of the machine depending on how it is configured, but we are always "inviting" things in when we check e-mail, download applications, or visit new sites. No matter how good the firewall is, there is always the chance that somethng will slip through.

Most currently available anti-viral and anti-spyware programs work using definitions of known infections and known behavior traits of the malware that is already out there. Most of the anti-malware programs are very good about updating their definitions as soon as new threats are found, but in order to discover a new threat, somebody has to be infected with the new threat. Unfortunately we, the everyday users, are the ones that usually end up discovering these things. :blink: It is increasingly important to have applications on the machine to "watch" what's coming in.

Is there freeware that can cover me properly?

There certainly is! Geeks to Go uses and recommends quite an arsenal of free programs that are very effective in both protecting and cleaning malware threats/infections on your machine. Many of us have links to some of our favorite applications in our signatures. The ones I prefer are as follows:There is a list of other programs available on the first page of the Malware Forum.

I'm sure other members will have other opinions and hopefully will post them here for your consideration.

wannabe1

gerryf and Keith must have warp drive keyboards...both replied while I was typing mine... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 12 April 2006 - 04:02 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
...I would grab that sygate fast...filehippo must still have an old copy as I believe that Symantec has discontinued the freebie.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They have, indeed, but it is still being supported... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

gerryf and Keith must have warp drive keyboards

File Hippo is in the UK so I was closer :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I do not believe it is being supported. Everthing I read said it was not supported after Nov 30, 2005. Of course, what I read could be wrong..

No patches, no updates. It might be available in some places, but it is disappearing.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You can find a lot of Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and lots of other cool-free stuff here: http://www.geekstogo...re-t101038.html

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

No patches, no updates. It might be available in some places, but it is disappearing.

I'm running Sygate on two machines...both just updated successfully... :whistling: I'm sure it's just a matter of time, though. :blink:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling:

okey dokey! Good to know.

I'm still using kerio 2.1.5 :blink: (which also can be found scattered around the internet)

You can also get sygate and Tiny Personal firewall from here:

http://www.oldversion.com/