Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

two hard discs

• Please log in to reply

blue25

blue25

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have a C: hard disc with 40 something gigs and another hard disc D: with 110 gigs or so,

I'm curretly using the C hard disc and i've noticed its nearly full, while the D hard disc is still full ie 110 gigs free,

is their any way of changing the settings so that i can combine the two and get 150 gigs to use at the same time ?

will this make my computer work faster on the net?

Thank you

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, yes and no. There are ways to combine your drives (raid, dynamic disk and spanning), but it will not improve the speed of your PC.

Odds are that your 40gb drive is slower with less onboard memory, and combining the two in any fashion is probably not desirable anyway.

What you may consider is imaging your 40gb drive to the larger drive, then swapping them so the larger (probably faster drive) is the primary and the 40gb is the secondary drive.

There are a number of ways to do this, but the easiest for the novice is a disk imaging program and one of the easiest/best is Acronis True Image, which just happens to have a 15-day trial software you can download

http://www.acronis.c...load/trueimage/

blue25

blue25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks

Would it speed up internet usage though?

With the download once the trial is over can i still use the current settings?

Thank you

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the download will allow you to make a disk image--this is not something done that goes away.

The remainder of the software, which has some pretty nifty stuff including very advanced backup capabilities, ceases to function, but the disk image is done and yours to keep forever. Nothing to revert to.

Will it make things goes faster...no. It will give you more space and offer a minimal speed increase with disk access if I am correct and your old drive is slower, but not something that will make a huge difference