Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Disturbance

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have a radeon 9800 pro, and occasionally i see these green vertical lines on my desktop. these lines appear as smudges on text (especially word documents). i have to refresh the sreen in order to make them go away, but they appear very often. I've updated my gfx driver and changed certain display settings, but i still get the same results.

any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
check to see if your fan on the card is full of dust--sounds like an overheat issue. If so, HOLD the fan and then blow the dust free with a can of compressed air. Hold the blades so they do not spin -- this is because the compressed air will spin the blades to fast and potentially burn out the bearings

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
the possibility that dust is the problem sounds like a real possibility.....i'll give it a try

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i gave it a good cleaning (it was pretty dusty), but i still have the same problem.

as a matter of fack, it got worse.....my screen is a bit out of wack.....i'll try to re-insert it again and hope that does the trick.

Edited by Litmatch21, 13 April 2006 - 09:20 PM.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
ever since i cleaned my gfx card, my screen is a complete mess........i tried re-inserting it a couple of times but it's still a mess.......did i screw something up?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
unlikely, unless you dislodged your gpu fan (is there one? is it spinning?)

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
there is one and it was slightly dislodged, but how can i tell if it spins once i start my computer?

by the way, i noticed that the fan was slightly pasted to the gfx card, but now it's loose. should i try and paste it back?

Edited by Litmatch21, 14 April 2006 - 10:07 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if your fan ever came off the gpu then it is no longer doing its job---the gpu and fan were previously bonded with thermal paste of some sort...if it came off and you reattached it, you have created air pockets that are trapping the heat in.

You need to clean the fan and gpu, and reapply thermal paste and make certain they are well attached

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
that doesn't sound like an easy task....getting a thermal paste doesn't sound fun......do you think i'm better off taking it to an expert repair shop?