Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shut down or lock down?

• Please log in to reply

mickey1000

mickey1000

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
I'm not sure if this a software or hardware problem. I'm running Windows XP Home and I'm leaning toward a hardware problem. For no rason what so ever my computer just shuts down and not just off, it goes into a mode where I have to unplug it to turn it completely off, just to get it back on again. I have run every type of spyware and anti-virus product. My hijack log is clean and nothing can be found. Sometimes it happens every few minutes, other times, like now, I can get up to a half hour or more. I never know. It started out happening only once in a while, maybe every couple of days. Now its many times day. There is no error message, no clue, no warning it just goes into this type of lock down mode. Don't know what to call it. I have no idea where to start. I tried the Windows XP repair, that didn't work. Could this be a corrupted file or is it a power regulator problem? Any help is appreciated. Many thank in advance.
Mickey :whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'd definitely be leaning toward power supply

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I would think overheating, but power supply is a likely culprit too. How old is the computer? Has it been making any unsusal noises lately? Or maybe fewer noises (like a fan isn't working)?

If the computer is old, then dust bunnies can build up and cause the components to overheat, and cause lockups. Using a can of compressed air, you can blow them out. Just be sure to hold the fans still because the high velocity air from the can cause them to spin to fast and burn out the bearings.

The power supply can also go bad if it's old or has been subject to 'unclean' power from the electric co. If that's the case, you'd have to replace it. It's a pretty easy process, and they aren't that expensive.

I'm sure a staffer here can provide more guidance.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm with gerryf...that sounds like power supply.

wannabe1

mickey1000

mickey1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Many thanks to all. Yes it has been making new and different noises lately. The computer is three and a half years old. So I guess in the computer field that is old. First I'll try the cleaning out, which at this point I should have killer rabbits instead of dust bunnies. If that fails, I'll post a new top about what and how to replace the power supply. Again, I can't thank you all enought, also for your fast responses.
Mick :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you define "new and different noises" for us? Do they sound like any of These? (you'll have to turn the volume up a bit...the sounds are a bit faint)

mickey1000

mickey1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
THe sounds it makes are close to the first in the choices at the site you suggested I check. Not as extreme as that sound but that type of sound. Some clicks but only occasionally. Does this mean that my hard is getting ready to bit the dust or is there too much dust in my drives? It really hasn't been cleaned out. I'm kind of hoping that dust bunnies are the culprits.
Many thanks
Mic :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like that can be caused by a bad power supply, too. If the drive is speeding up and slowing down it will sould very similar to that, but will be quite faint. You can verify if it is heat or not by installing SpeedFan (download link is in the second paragraph) to monitor the temps. You can keep an eye on the voltages, too. You need temperatures to stay below 50*C and voltage fluctuations of more than a few tenths of a volt are not good...

mickey1000

mickey1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Once More!!

I took the first step and bought canned air, took the tower apart and good thing I took it out side. Wow, the dust that came out of the thing was unreal. It has only shut off once since I cleaned it out and that was minutes after I cleaned it. I have been keeping the tower out of the computer desk area, so that it gets max air flow. The dust on the fan inside, I think, had slowed the fan down. Thanks for the diagnostic program suggestions. I keep a check on my pc's vitals and so far, so good. It's been three days and has not shut down since the initial after cleaning. Hopfully I didn't just jinx myself. If so I will be replacing the power supply regulator (and asking for more help). Can't thank you all enough.
Mickey :whistling: :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yepper...heat can cause some pretty funky problems. Glad it's running ok...at least for now. Keep your eye on it and if you have any more problems, you know where to find us!

Good call fructose! :whistling:

wannabe1

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I'm glad to hear it's working better. Keep an eye on it, and don't worry if you have to swap out the power supply. That's an easy process, and I'm sure wannabe1 can give you better instructions than I could.