Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Ad-Aware results in System Failure

• Please log in to reply

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I haven't had this problem before in the past, but I recently updated my Ad-Aware SE personal edition program. Now whenever I run it, it starts to scan the windows32 file, and freezes for a second. Then my start bar and my browser window become hard ridged boxes, as opposed to the friendly Window XP type boxes (I hope I'm clear enough). Finally, I am unable to do anything, and my screen turns blue, and there is this message that says system failure...has anyone experienced this before?

If so, could you please tell me how to get rid of it. Also, if anyone needs me to read out the entire message from the blue screen, please tell me. I just really want to fix this problem. Thanks so much!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Fencingking007! Welcome to G2G!

Yes, the entire wording of the error message that appears on the blue screen would be helpful, especially any words that are in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, and also any code segments, like STOP 0x00000076 (0XF9E49640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X000000000) for example.

Fenor

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for Fenor for your help!

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, but the problem still occured.

The blue screen has the following text:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Then when I restart my computer, I get a box that says "winlogon.exe encoutered a problem and needed to close." It's one of those send error report things.

Do you know what's going on? Thanks again.

Edited by Fencingking007, 12 April 2006 - 06:14 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try running ad-aware in SAFE MODE and see if you still get the error. If you don't know how to get into Safe Mode, let me know.

Fenor

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, Im very inexperienced. How do I do that?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
To enter Safe Mode, start tapping the F8 key about once a second as soon as you turn on your computer. Continue to tap F8 until the screen appears allowing you to boot into Safe Mode.). Once you are into Safe Mode log in with your normal account and NOT the Administrator account. Click YES to the window that appears once you have clicked on your account to login with.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 April 2006 - 06:26 PM.

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I will try that. Do you know if this is something that will be very bad for my computer if I do not fix it immediately?

It only happens when I run Ad-Aware, but Im afraid it is more serious. Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm figuring that it is Malware-related, but I want to verify that before sending you over to the Malware Forum. If the scan completes successfully in safe mode but doesn't in normal mode then I will send you over to the Malware Forum.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 April 2006 - 07:33 PM.

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The same thing happens in safe mode.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Fenor, I think it is the Vundo Virus. How do I remove this?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do what I said to do in my previous post. The experts in the Malware Forum will be able to help you fix your problem. :whistling:

Fenor

Fencingking007

Fencingking007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks so much for your kind assistance!