Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unrecognizeable replacement power adapter for Inspiron 6000

• Please log in to reply

kreo316

kreo316

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

I just joined this forum so i hope you guys can help. i'm pretty stumped by this problem i've got. My original power adapter for my inspiron 6000 was fried due to a power surge. I got a replacement adapter through a reseller, 65w, 19.5 V, 3.34A, PA-12 family.

However, it won't be recognized by the system, an error message come up saying

*** "The AC Power Adapter Type cannot be determined. Your System will run slower and the battery will not be charged. Please connect a 65W Dell Adapter to your system" ***

I've tried flashing the bios from version A07 to A09, the latest version from Dell. I've also tried the adapter on someone else's Inspiron 6000, same error message appeared.

Do you guys think that the adapter is faulty, or is it simply not the proper specs? I checked and it's all correct, the output voltage/amperage/wattage.

Hope you guys can offer some productive tips.

Thanks,
Kreo316

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kreo316...

It's possible the the regulation isn't steady enough...laptops are pretty picky and don't tolerate any "ripple". Particularly in the low voltage legs that the chipset uses.

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dell always uses some form of funky deal in all of their psu's (laptop and desktop type deals)...that end up requiring you to actually have a dell branded one for the stuff to work...is this one an actual dell cord or not?

kreo316

kreo316

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey,

thanks for the replies. The replacement adapter is a Dell branded unit. It's even rated at the same output specs as the original. I understand that different chipsets would require different voltage outputs etc., but this one was listed by the reseller as "a replacement dell adapter for all Inspiron 6000 laptops". So i'm guessing they pitched it as "one size fits all", huh?

well, my chipset is the 735 family, 1.6ghz centrino with 533mhz buz, and 512mb Ram at 400Mhz.

I wanna order a replacement brick from dell's notebook battery and power website, but i'm worried that i may have the same problem again, since they only got one type of adapter listed online and it is not specified for any particular family or chipset (centrino, pentium M, celeron M, 725/735/740 families, etc.).

Is there any other way around this "unrecognizeable adapter..." problem? Either hardware, software or bios? I know it's a simple fix.. i just can't put my finger on it... it's frustrating.

Oh, i even went as far as disabling "speedstep" in BIOS, so that the processor would be forced to operate at a steady performance level... still nada.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for ur help and interest so far!!

Kreo316