Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

newbie needs help

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can get media center if you like im sure if you called them they would change it but personally theres nothing new in media centre really as in a real media centre you wouldnt use the media apps from MS and the theme you can download im using it now on XP pro. For an OS on a gaming system XP pro is best but with vista coming i would get home and wait.

Crossfire is as good as SLI, it has limitation that you can only use certain cards with certain cards but SLI has this as well but crossfire is slightly less fussy but sli is getting better that way cards still need to be identical for sli to work just like they have to be from a set group in crossfire, the only condition to crossfire is one card must be a master card, but this is a good and a bad thing it makes crossfire better than SLI in some ways but master cards can sometimes be hard to get.

At the moment NO games require a physx card to work, and of the ones that say they will use it UT2007 is the only one of note even in it its just an option, its very likely unless the cards reduce heavily in price or become integrated with gfx cards they will be a fad and die out. A dual core CPU is more than capable of handlnig the extra physx options a card can, you can actually run the physx system demo without a physx card you can download it from there website and try it.

Advertisements

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry what i mean is with the crossfire mobos can you add nvidia cards when i upgrade in the future, because i heard some where that you cant

btw ill be gaming on a 24" widescreen lcd, so crossfire will be helpful here to keep the fps up correct?

Edited by oakland20, 18 April 2006 - 04:41 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

sorry what i mean is with the crossfire mobos can you add nvidia cards when i upgrade in the future, because i heard some where that you cant

btw ill be gaming on a 24" widescreen lcd, so crossfire will be helpful here to keep the fps up correct?

The crossfire mobos is meant for 2 ati crossfire compatible video cards. With a crossfire mobo you can put one nvidia video card in it..

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
SLi and Crossfire cards can't be mixed and matched, no.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Im saying that you can put only 1 nvidia video card in a crossfire mobo. You cant have 2 nvidia video cards on a crossfire motherboard and them be recognized as in sli mode.... If you installed 2 nvidia sli compatable video cards on a crossfire motherboard both cards would show up as display adapters but they will not run in sli mode...

Hope this helps, your wasing your money buying a crossfire board and get an nvidia video card really.....

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks for clearing up my questions and i knew that you cant run sli and i just needed to know about the nvidia card for in the future

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The dual gfx card deal isnt usually a very good upgrade path so you can get a single nvidia card if you want, but if youre forking out for crossfire i would get an x1900 so that you do have the option later on if you want it.

But dual cards are a now or never deal really.