Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer hanging

• Please log in to reply

HalfJax

HalfJax

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everytime I try to expand the tree (by clicking on the little plus sign) in the folder side (left side) of windows explorer, it refuses to expand and then hangs. Also, if i don't use the left side it works fine but will not list the full tree on the left, just the folder i am working in. Regardless, when i shut down explorer it stops responding and when i use the task manager to end it, i lose my entire desktop except for my wallpaper.

It worked 'normally' until I downloaded the following Microsoft updates tonight :

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Security Update for Excel Viewer 2003 (KB914451)
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB911567)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB911565)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2006 (KB890830)

Did any of these cause this problem or is it something else?

Thank you for your help with this.
HalfJax

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to add / remove, tick show updates, click this link

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-apr.mspx

Click affected software and download locations, check any updates against any you already have, you may need to click critical for your version of XP to get the KB numbers

Install any you do not have and see if it improves

Check this also

http://www.microsoft...n/ms06-apr.mspx

HalfJax

HalfJax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've checked and have all listed updates. I went back to microsofts update page just to recheck and all high priority updates have been installed. It did have 6 optional software downloads and I checked them and none of them really apply to my system. The only one that might have anything to do with me is the .NET Framework 2.0. I currently have 1.1 installed but I've been trying to figure out this problem for over 7 hours now and am rather foggyheaded right now so I cant think straight.

Any other options will be appreciated, but for now, i gotta get to bed. Thanks for the help.

HalfJax

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

HalfJax

HalfJax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Finally finished and everything working great now. Thanks

I do have one question though... You siad to

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

I have a dialup connection set at 56k, the next highest on the list was an IDSN at 64k, seeing as I don't have an ISDN connection and that the highest dialup connection listed is what I have, do I just leave it as is or set it higher?

Thanks again for the help.

HalfJax

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it with 56K to see what it does

If you run it then it will optimise to whatever you set it for, so even if you optimised to 10MB you could re-run it to set it back to 56K

HalfJax

HalfJax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everything seems to be working a bit faster so I'll just leave it set at 56k :whistling:

Again, thanks for the help.

HalfJax

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know