Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I change XP back ME?

• Please log in to reply

tomcat31875

tomcat31875

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I installed XP on to my computer a month or so ago... but it made my PC run really slow... I would like to change it back to Windows ME or may be 2000. Can some one please tell me how to do it ... Plus I don't have the XP cd either I got it from a friend at a computer store....But he moved away...Am I screwed???? I do have my windows me cd though in case that will help, but I formatted my HDD when I upgraded to XP so ME is not in my computer at all any more.... WHAT DO I DO????

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there tomcat31875,welcome To Geeks To go Forums.

Going back to ME is tricky, its not like you can just do it. You will have to re-install ME. Theres no other way to doing it.

I cant give any other explination, re-loading is the only way you going to get ME back.

Cool :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just for clarification...what spike is saying is that to go back to me or 2000 you will have to format the computer and reinstall the O/S (whichever you choose)

tomcat31875

tomcat31875

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
but how do I format XP though??? with Me I had a startup disk that had allowed me to format the HDD...

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
What they said ^^

Before doing any more, make sure if you are re-installing one of these OS'es you backup all that is important to you on your PC. This will wipe it completely so there will be nothing left on your machine except windows

However here is a guide to installing Windows ME http://www.duxcw.com...stall/inst.html

Also this is how to get 2000 on there, but only follow it to step 8, then stick your windows 2000 CD and reboot letting it boot up from http://www.tech-foru...opic/18003.html

Edited by The_KiD, 13 April 2006 - 09:07 AM.