Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows does not recognize my RAM

• Please log in to reply

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi all. I just installed a new hard drive and purchased 2GB of RAM. The install of the HD and windows went fine. However, Windows XP home is only seeing 512 MB of RAM instead of the 2GB. I tried them in different DIMM slots but no go. I have an Abit AV8 motherboard. The RAM I got was 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200. Please help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. What kind of ram? Abit has a list of supported ram at http://www.abit-usa.com/memory/
Did you get one of the supported brands?

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Unfortunatly I did not. I got a brand from Staples called PNY. So in order for my RAM to work, i HAVE to get only one of the 5 or 6 listed supported brands?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
No, not necessarily. It is just best to get what you KNOW will work in the first place. One question though, can you take it back to Staples for a refund and get one of the supported brands? If not then proceed with troubleshooting.

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Unfortunatly PNY is the only high end RAM Staples carries.\

P.S. I called PNY Tech support and they had me updated my VIA drivers. I also updated my BIOS, but it is still doing the same thing.

Edited by GTStangman2k1, 15 April 2006 - 07:15 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Well, if it were me I would take it back to Staples for a refund and then buy one of the brands on the abit list per the link I posted earlier. Have you called PNY support back after doing what they suggested and reported that those efforts failed to correct the problem?

You can easily find any of the Abit supported ram on line. I recently bought CORSAIR 1GB DDR 400mhz RAM 1 GB PC3200 1024MB LOT Sale price: $78.80 from PCWonder on Ebay. There may be better deals around.

Edited by austin_o, 15 April 2006 - 07:42 AM.

GTStangman2k1

GTStangman2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah as much as I wish it would work, I'm just going to take it back and get a refund. Thanks anyway.